Academic Affairs

Professional Licensure and Certification

At this time, UM is continuously working to determine if all of its current programs that may lead to licensure or certification meet the prerequisites for professional licensure or certification application in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. UM has developed a series of tables to provide this information that will continuously be updated once information becomes available or changes. If you are interested in learning about professional licensure or certification requirements specific to your program and your specified state of residency, please review the tables below. If you are in need of additional information UM encourages you to contact Mary Howard at 1-205-665-6352 or visit to review NC-SARA’s professional licensure directory. Prospective and enrolled students may also receive direct disclosures via email as necessary. It is UM’s goal to provide transparent information, especially regarding professional licensure and certification.

College of Arts & Sciences Programs

Chemistry, ACS-Certified BSSocial Work BA and BS Speech-Language Pathology MS

College of Education & Human Development Programs

Collaborative Special Education Alternative MEdCounselor Education MEdEducation of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing BA and BSEducation of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing P-12 Alternative MEdElementary Education Alternative MEdElementary Education BA and BSElementary Education Traditional MEdElementary Education Collaborative Special Education BA and BSExercise and Nutrition Science Coordinated Dietetics BSFamily and Consumer Sciences Education BA and BSInstructional Leadership EdSInstructional Leadership RHO MEdInstructional Technology EdSMusic Education BMSecondary Education Alternative MEdSecondary Education Traditional MEdTeacher Leadership EdSVisual Arts and Music Education P-12 Alternative MEd