Great Start, a program for conditionally admitted students, is a proactive support program that assists students as they tap into their full potential at UM. In conjunction with Admissions, the FSC works with Great Start students through their first year at UM.
Great Start Students:
- Register for 14-16 hours: ENG 101, MATH 131, one major-related course, two general education requirements
- Attend monthly workshops designed to support students as they transition to college
- Interact with a peer group led by a peer mentor
- Meet with FSC staff to create a personal pathway to success
Great Start is a year-long program.
Great Start Peer Mentors
- Great Start peer mentors serve as a familiar face on campus to support incoming Great Start students throughout their first year at UM. Great Start peer mentors offer advice, respond to question, connect students to resources, and encourage campus involvement.
Every Great Start student is assigned to a peer group led by a peer mentor.
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Earn a minimum of 24 hours by the fall that you will serve as a peer mentor
- Clear judicial record
- On campus the full academic year (Fall and Spring)
Application for 2019-2020 Great Start peer mentors will be available in January.
August 18th – Welcome Weekend Kick-Off 2:00-3:30 in Wills 200
September 12th – Time Management and Study Tips 3:30-4:30 in Comer Auditorium
October 17th – Paying for College 3:30-4:30 in Comer Auditorium
December 3rd-7th – Finals Treat Week in Van Tuyll House
January 23rd – Values and Integrity 3:30-4:30 in Comer Auditorium
February 13th – MBTI 3:30-5:00 in EBSCO room (Library, lower level)
February 20th – Holland Code 3:30-4:30 in EBSCO room (Library, lower level)
March 13th – What Happens Next? 3:30-4:30 in Comer Auditorium
April 29th-May 3rd – Finals Treat Week in Van Tuyll House