UM NATIONAL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION BYLAWS
Article I – Name
The name of this Association shall be the University of Montevallo National Alumni Association.
Article II – Mission Statement
The Association is the corporate body representative of all alumni of the University of Montevallo. The mission of the Association is to serve as the primary and principal organization to:
- enhance alumni ties to and support of the University;
- promote active and effective participation of alumni in the Association and the University; and
- advocate, promote, and support the University of Montevallo and its unique mission to be a vital part of Alabama’s future.
Article Ill – Membership
- Membership unlimited
Membership in this organization shall be unlimited in number and shall include all persons who have been students at this University, whether known at the time of matriculation as Alabama College or the University of Montevallo, or anyother name by which the University has been known.
- Categories of membership
There shall be three categories of membership:
- Active members are those alumni who contribute to the current annual fund or who, when that Program was available,acquired life membership in the Association. An annual contribution from an alumnus of any amount to this Associationentitles one to active membership for the current fiscal year. Only active members enjoy all rights and privileges ofAssociation membership including, but not limited to making motions, voting, and holding office.
- Honorary members shall be those persons, qualifying under section 3 below, who enjoy all privileges of membership, except those of making motions, of voting, and of holding office.
- Inactive members are those alumni who do not meet the qualifications of section 2(a) above.
- Procedure for conferring honorary membership
Honorary membership shall be conferred by either of two methods:
- The President of the Association shall confer such membership immediately upon and shall notify any person whoreceives an honorary degree from the University.
- The President of the Association shall confer membership upon and shall notify any person who has rendered distinctiveservice to the University and whose name has been placed in nomination by a member of the Board of Directors,seconded by another member, and approved by a two-thirds vote taken by written ballot of the Board of Directors.
Article IV – Alumni Clubs and Organizations
The Alumni Board of Directors may charter, organize, and recognize alumni clubs and other alumni organizations.
Article V – Officers
- Officers enumerated
Officers of the Association shall be elected and hold office for terms of two years each. The President and thePresident-elect shall not be eligible to serve consecutive full terms in the same office. Any other officer shall be eligible to serve two consecutive full terms in the same office.Officers shall include: President (who immediately prior to becoming President shall have served as President-elect),President-elect (who prior to becoming President-elect shall have served as a member of the Board of Directors), VicePresident for Directors/Secretary, Vice President for Finance/Treasurer, Vice President for Alumni Services, Vice President for Clubs, Vice President for Special Events, Vice President for StudentServices, Vice President for Awards and Recognitions, and Parliamentarian (who shall be the immediate PastPresident).
- Duties of the President
ThePresident presides at all meetings of the Association, the Board of Directors, appoints committees, serves as ex officio voting member of the University of Montevallo Foundation Board of Directors, serves as an ex officio voting members of all councils and committees, supervises and directs the activities of the Association, and generally performs the duties and exercises the authority customary to the office of President.
- Duties of the President-elect
The President-elect shall preside in the absence of the President and shall represent the Association and performother duties when assigned by the President. In the event of a vacancy in the office of President, the President-elect shall become President for the balance of the term and then shall be eligible for election as President for a full term.
- Duties of the other officers
In addition to such other duties as may be assigned by the Board of Directors, the officers shall have the following duties:
- The Vice President for Directors/Secretary performs any duties required by law or customarily performs as secretaryand is responsible for the orientation and involvement of members of the Board of Directors.
- The Vice President for Finance/Treasurer reports on and recommends the budget and evaluates income-gatheringservices, programs and activities and requests for funding.
- The Vice President for Alumni Services assesses alumni ties to the University and Association and recommends services to enhance those ties.
- The Vice President for Clubs evaluates and directs efforts to increase effectiveness of and alumni participation in clubs.The officer also serves as liaison to alumni clubs.
- The Vice President for Special Events assists staff in planning alumni involvement in a variety of University and Association events.
- The Vice President for Student Services assumes responsibility for the Association’s scholarship program and otheralumni services for students.
- The Vice President for Awards and Recognitions assumes responsibility for alumni awards and recognitions.
- The Parliamentarian shall serve as a resource on rules of order.
- Removal from office
An officer of the Board may. for good cause, be removed from office at a meeting of the Board of Directors by a two thirdsvote of the membership of the Board taken by secret written ballot.
- Vacancies in office
- Appointments to vacancies in any office except that of President or President-elect shall be made by the President of the Association in consultation with the nominating committee.
- Vacancies in the office of President-elect shall be filled by election by the Board of Directors. The nominatingcommittee shall present a nominee for President-elect for the Board’s consideration.
- Officers enumerated
Article VI – Board of Directors
- Composition and duties
The Board of Directors shall be the governing body of the Association. Its membership shall include:
- The officers
- Fourteen members elected at-large to serve terms of two years, with one-half of the terms expiring each year. At the time of election to an at-large position, candidates may not have held another position on the Board within the last two years. At-large members are eligible for two consecutive full terms.
- One member from the Alumni Council who shall serve a term of two years. The Alumni Council shall consist of all former Presidents of the Alumni Association, former Directors of Alumni Affairs, former Chairs of the Faculty’s Alumni Committee, and all former and current University Trustees who are alumni.
- Ex officio (non-voting)members are as follows:
- The President of the University.
- The President of the Student Government Association.
- The Director of Alumni Affairs.
- The Chair of the Faculty Alumni Committee.
- A representative of the Admissions staff.
- The President of the Junior Board of the University of Montevallo National Alumni Association.
- Calendar of meetings
The Board of Directors annually shall adopt a calendar to include at least three meetings. Special meetings may becalled by the President or upon written request of three members of the board. Notice of the meeting must be received bymembers at least ten working days prior to any special meeting.
The Board of Directors shall establish committees, standing and special, as necessary to perform the business of theAssociation. Committee appointments are made annually by the President.
- Policies and procedures
The Board of Directors shall compile and keep updated a document of organizational and operational policies and procedures.
Forty percent of the voting membership of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
- Absences from meetings
Members and officers of the Board shall be expected to attend meetings. After three consecutive absences, a board member may be asked to submit his/her resignation.
- Removal from office
A member of the Board may, for good cause, be removed from the Board of Directors at a meeting by a two- thirds vote of the membership of the Board taken by secret written ballot.
- Vacancies on the Board ofDirectors
Appointments to vacancies on the Board of Directors occurring between annual meetings of the Association shall be made by the President of the Association in consultation with the nominating committee. The appointee shall serve for the remainder of the vacant term.
Article VII – Executive Committee
The Executive Committee shall be composed of the Association President, President-elect, Past President, and all VicePresidents. The Director of Alumni Affairs shall be a non-voting ex officio member.
The Executive Committee shall have and shall exercise all powers and authority granted by the Board of Directors. TheExecutive Committee may handle urgent and other business of the Association when it is not possible or practical to convene a meeting of the Board. This business is subject to affirmation, when possible, by the Board of Directors at its next meeting.
Article VIII – Nominations and Elections
- Nominating Committee
There shall be a nominating committee comprised of the Parliamentarian, who shall serve as chair, the President, the President-elect, and the following members appointed by the President: two members of the Board of Directors, two club representatives, and two active alumni members who are not members of the Board.
- Nominations by the Committee
These nominations shall be submitted to the Board of Directors for its concurrence prior to their presentation and the election at the annual business meeting.
- Nominations for President-elect
By October 1 of each odd-numbered year, the committee shall nominate candidate(s) for the office of President-elect.The Chair of the Nominating Committee shall have a written ballot prepared and sent to members of the Board ofDirectors, who shall return the ballots, which must be received no later than November 1. If there is more than one candidate, the person receiving a majority of the votes shall be deemed endorsed as a member of the nominated slate.
- Tabulation Committee
The President shall appoint three members of the nominating committee to serve as an election committee to open and tabulate the ballots at a designated time.
- Nomination of officers and board members
At the annual business meeting of the Association, the nominating committee shall present the nominated slate of officers and board members proposed for election. An individual may be nominated and the nomination seconded by members of the Association, with the consent of the individual nominated. Representation of the Association’s membership is important to strengthen the organization.
- Election of officers and board members
Except in the case of vacancies, election shall be by majority vote of the members present at the annual business meeting of the Association.
- lnstallation of officers and board members
The officers and board members elected shall be installed at the annual business meeting of the Association.
Article IX – Association Meetings
- Annual business meeting
The annual business meeting of the Association shall be held on Homecoming Day, unless otherwise ordered by theBoard of Directors.
The annual business meeting shall be for the purpose of electing officers and board members, receiving reports of officers and committees, and for other business which may arise.
- Special meetings
Special meetings can be called by the President or by the Board of Directors. The purpose of the meeting shall be stated in the call and at least ten days notice be given by the most practicable means approved by the Board.
Those active members present at the business meeting shall constitute a quorum.
Article X – Parliamentary Authority
The rules contained in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern the Association in all cases exceptwhere these bylaws or any special or standing rules provide otherwise.
Article XI – Amendment of Bylaws
These bylaws may be amended at any business meeting of the Association by a two-thirds vote of active memberspresent, provided that the amendment has been submitted in writing to the Board of Directors and approved prior topresentation at the business meeting. Copies of the amendment shall be available from the Association office.
Article XII – Miscellaneous
- Fiscal Year
The fiscal year of the Association shall be October 1 through September 30 of each year.
- Anti-discrimination Statement
The University of Montevallo National Alumni Association recognizes itslegal and moraLobligatiqnJo provide an environment in which opportunities for UM alumni participation are available without discrimination on thebasis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, or disability. The UMNAA commits itself tomaintaining a nondiscriminatory selection process for its officers and directors.
Last Revised: 10.9.14