International Student Information

Traveling as an F-1 Student

An F-1 student is considered in status for the entire length of time that fulltime enrollment in an educational program or authorized period of practical training is maintained. Students may visit home and/or travel to other countries as long as they maintain status as fulltime students at the school they are authorized to attend. Upon completion of studies, a 60-day grace period is granted to allow students to prepare for departure from the United States (U.S.).

Travel Within the United States

Travel within the U.S. and to U.S. territories is not restricted and no special documents are required. However, it is extremely important that F-1 students and their dependents carry with them their passports and visa documents in the event they need to present them to law enforcement officials.

Travel Outside the United States

Students should have a valid passport, F-1 entry visa, I-20 form, reentry signature on page two of I-20, and documentary evidence of funding or finances. The reentry signature on page 2 of the I-20 is valid for one calendar year (12 months). If a student plans to travel abroad for an extended period of time, he or she must make certain that the signature on his or her I-20 will be valid (i.e. less than 12 months old) upon return to the U.S. It is advised that students obtain a new signature on their I-20 from the DSO prior to leaving the country.

More Information

For the latest information on entering and leaving the United States, visit:

For International Visitors

Know Before You Visit

For information about what items are permitted to be carried onboard a commercial flight, and for other travel tips, please visit: