University of Montevallo marketing students from Dr. Amiee Mellon’s Social Entrepreneurship & Sustainability class are applying their academic knowledge to benefit local charity The Arc of Shelby County. Presented with the task of increasing awareness and funds for the organization, students have worked to plan and develop an obstacle course event.
The Warrior Challenge, a 1-mile obstacle fun run, will be held on Saturday, April 29, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the University of Montevallo Disc Golf Course, located near the McChesney Student Activity Center. Throughout the day there will be fun, family-friendly activities available for spectators, including free kids’ activities, as well as food and entertainment.
Obstacles include the tightwalk, sack race, tire drill, hula hoop crawl, sand crawl, slip ‘n slide, spin your wheels, trail run and splash zone. Each of the obstacles is designed to accommodate participants of all fitness levels.
- Tightwalk – test your balance as you make your way across a short ropes course
- Sack Race – old school field day sack race
- Tire Drill – test your agility as you run through tires
- Hula Hoop Crawl – make your way under and through a series of hula hoops
- Sand Crawl – commando crawl across a sand volleyball court
- Slip N Slide – slide down a giant slip and slide
- Spin Your Wheels – all-out-sprint – as fast as you can on trikes, big wheels and kids’ bikes
- Trail Run – run through beautiful wooded trails in between obstacles – but watch out for Log Jumps and other obstacles in your way
- Splash Zone – make your way to the finish but watch out for a final splash from spectators with water balloons!
Over the last two months, the class has split into committees to tackle the different elements of the event.
- Event Program: Emily Beatty, Maranda Berry, Claire Quirk
- Budget Management: Elizabeth Eisenhower, Morgan Heumann, Nick Whitsett
- Promotional Layout & Minor Marketing: Natonya Amerson, Patrick Gant, Jason Perry
- Sponsorships: Sergio Gonzalez Ruiz, Pierce Jacobs, Joshua Keller, Zachary Keller, Mary Parker, Colby Quinn, Daniel Schroder, Elaine Wood, Alexandra (Lexie) Wright
- Vendors: Saralyn Campbell, Mark Castellucci, Troy Davis, Sarah Federico, Paul Mahaffey, John McCall, Madison Mosley, Brittany Whitt
- Location Survey & Map: Heather Bradley, Elizabeth (Wesley) Vaughn, Jessica Wall
- Gathering Volunteers: Tyler Brough, Dakota Harris, Trevor Haynes, Zach Watkins
“I have been impressed with the spirit of both giving and volunteering. These students have not taken a ‘slacktivist’ attitude, but rather a hands-on approach to hosting a successful event for The Arc of Shelby County,” said Mellon.
THE ARC OF SHELBY COUNTY
According to Mellon, students have embraced the cause. The Arc of Shelby County and its national office advocate for specific policies and programs that benefit people with developmental and intellectual disabilities and their families.
“Thanks to the efforts of Dr. Amiee Mellon and her students at the University of Montevallo, the Warrior Challenge will raise both awareness and funds to support the programs and services that we provide to individuals with developmental disabilities and their families. The Arc serves over 1,000 individuals and families in Shelby County through community-based programs including early intervention, community living and employment services. We are especially grateful when we have the opportunity to collaborate with partners in our community and we are so thankful for our ongoing partnership with the University of Montevallo. We are looking forward to a great event!” said Jennifer Ellison, director of development for The Arc of Shelby County.
REGISTRATION: For $35, participants can compete in the fun run. Families are encouraged to come enjoy the family friendly activities at no charge. Each warrior challenger will receive a t-shirt and a finisher’s medal. Register now to compete in the obstacle fun-run.