The third annual Warrior Challenge will be held on Saturday, April 13, 2019, from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the University of Montevallo’s Disc Golf Course, located near the McChesney Student Activity Center.
Students from DeAnna Smith’s Social Entrepreneurship & Sustainability class are applying their academic knowledge to benefit local charity The Arc of Shelby County. Expanding upon the previous Warrior Challenge obstacle course event, the 2019 Warrior Challenge will feature a 5k and 1-mile obstacle fun run. Participants are encouraged to form teams for chances to win prizes.
The 5k will begin at 8:30 a.m. followed by the 10 a.m. start of the 1-mile obstacle fun run. Throughout the day, there will be family-friendly activities available for spectators, including music, kids’ activities and refreshments. The event will feature a family-friendly vendor fair.
Proceeds from the event will benefit The Arc of Shelby County which serves more than 1,000 individuals with developmental disabilities in Shelby County each year.
“Thanks to the efforts of DeAnna Smith and her students at the University of Montevallo, the Warrior Challenge will raise both awareness and funds to support the programs and services that we provide to individuals with developmental disabilities and their families,” said Jennifer Ellison, director of development for The Arc of Shelby County. “We are especially grateful when we have the opportunity to collaborate with partners in our community and we are so thankful for our ongoing partnership with the University of Montevallo. We are looking forward to a great event!”
- Fancy Feet – test your footwork stepping in and out of this obstacle
- Bull’s Eye – take your best shot against some of Montevallo’s fiercest competitors as you attempt to make a free throw
- Log Jump – watch your step for these obstacles as you make your way through this scenic route of the course
- Breakaway – dribble your way through strategically placed cones and shoot a winning soccer goal
- Dizzy Bat – place your forehead on this bat and circle it 3 times before seeing if you can run a straight line to the next obstacle
- Army Crawl – use this life-saving maneuver to crawl the trenches
- Sand Bag Carry – grab a sandbag and see how far you can make it up this hill
- Tire Flip – test your strength by flipping this heavy tire across to the other side
- Rip Tide – make your way to the top and slide your way down this steep hill on a waterslide
- Fallen Warrior – test your skills as you walk across fallen logs through beautiful wooded trails but keep your balance or you’ll end up in the mud
Learn more and register to participate at montevallo.edu/warrior-challenge