2020 Warrior Challenge Presented by SouthWest Water Company
University of Montevallo students from DeAnna Smith’s Social Entrepreneurship & Sustainability class are applying their academic knowledge to benefit local charity The Arc of Shelby County. Presented with the task of increasing awareness and funds for the organization, students have worked to expand upon the previous Warrior Challenge obstacle course event. The 2020 Southwest Water Warrior Challenge will feature a 5k and the 1-mile obstacle fun run. Participants are encouraged to form teams for chances to win prizes.
The Warrior Challenge 5k and 1-mile obstacle run, presented by Southwest Water, will be held on Saturday, April 18, at the University of Montevallo Disc Golf Course, located near the McChesney Student Activity Center. The 5k will begin at 8 a.m. followed by the 9 a.m. start of the 1-mile obstacle fun run. Throughout the event, there will be fun, family-friendly activities available for spectators, including music, kids’ activities and refreshments.
If your business would like to advertise at our event, sponsorships of the event are available. Please contact Kyndel Cunningham at (205) 382-5268 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fancy Feet – test your footwork stepping in and out of this obstacle
- Bull’s Eye – take your best shot against some of Montevallo’s fiercest competitors as you attempt to make a free throw
- Log Jump – watch your step for these obstacles as you make your way through this scenic route of the course
- Breakaway – dribble your way through strategically placed cones and shoot a winning soccer goal
- Dizzy Bat – place your forehead on this bat and circle it 3 times before seeing if you can run a straight line to the next obstacle
- Army Crawl – use this life-saving maneuver to crawl the trenches
- Sand Bag Carry – grab a sandbag and see how far you can make it up this hill
- Tire Flip – test your strength by flipping this heavy tire across to the other side
- Rip Tide – make your way to the top and slide your way down this steep hill on a waterslide
- Fallen Warrior – test your skills as you walk across fallen logs through beautiful wooded trails but keep your balance or you’ll end up in the mud
- Walk the Plank – finish out this course by deciding how to cross the stream
- Trail Run – run through beautiful wooded trails in between obstacles – but watch out for Log Jumps and other obstacles in your way
THE ARC OF SHELBY COUNTY
According to Smith, students have embraced the cause. The Arc of Shelby County and its national office advocate for specific policies and programs that benefit people with developmental and intellectual disabilities and their families.
“Thanks to the efforts of DeAnna Smith and her students at the University of Montevallo, the Warrior Challenge will raise both awareness and funds to support the programs and services that we provide to individuals with developmental disabilities and their families. The Arc serves over 1,000 individuals and families in Shelby County through community-based programs including early intervention, community living and employment services. We are especially grateful when we have the opportunity to collaborate with partners in our community and we are so thankful for our ongoing partnership with the University of Montevallo. We are looking forward to a great event!” said Jennifer Ellison, director of development for The Arc of Shelby County.