- Monday, April 18th – Lets Get Wild- Biodiversity Day Center for Biological Diversity Tabling 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Outside of Cafeteria
Environmental Club members will be handing out condoms outside of the cafeteria while educating students about the connections between population growth, reproductive rights, and endangered species.
Save the Red Wolf! —Red Wolf Revival Film Screening and action with Wild South
6:30 to 8:00 p.m. in UMOM ____
Red Wolf Revival, a short film about the last standing population of red wolves, will be screened and followed by a call to action from Executive Director of conservation organization Wild South.
- Tuesday, April 19th– Cultivate Greatness- Sustainable Farming and Foods Day Sustainable Foods Table- Green Your Diet! What is the Environmental Price Tag of Your Meal? 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. in UMOM Lobby
UM Environmental Club members will be tabling in front of the caf with edible treats for sale, each with an “environmental price tag” attached to it! E-Club will be educating fellow students on how they can “green” their diet.
Tour of UM Organic Community Garden
5:00 p.m. at the Organic Community Garden
Join E-Club and garden manager Holly Parker Wadleigh for an all exclusive tour of UM’s Organic Community Garden. Learn the steps to get your very own plot to plant, or get involved with organic farming as a volunteer at the community garden!
- Wednesday, April 20th– Environmental Justice Awareness Day6:30-8:00 in UMOMJohn Wathen, a nationally renowned environmental activist known for his dedication to protecting natural resources and the people who are affected by environmental degradation, will be presenting on what environmental justice is, and cases of environmental injustice in the South.
- Thursday, April 21st – National Parks Centennial & Public Lands Day100th Anniversary of National Parks Day 12:30 – 1:45 p.m. UMOM LobbyStudents from Dr. Turner’s National Parks and Public Lands course will be presenting poster displays that they have created over the course of the semester, displaying information on various U.S. National Parks in celebration of the 100th Anniversary of the National Park Service.
Guided Tour of Ebenezer Swamp Ecological Preserve
5:00 p.m.— Meet at the back of UMOM parking lot
Clinical Herbalist and UM Alum, Cameron Strouss, and UM’s Dr. Hardig will be leading an interpretive tour of UM’s Ebenezer Swamp Ecological Preserve, focusing on the identification of herbs and their medicinal uses.
- Friday, April 22nd– Earth Day! Earth Fest2:00 – 7:00 p.m. FarmerStudents and faculty, community members, and environmental organizations will gather to celebrate Earth Day with arts, crafts, music, activities, and food. Just a few of the attending organizations include GASP, Cahaba Environmental Center, Alabama Environmental Council, Central Alabama Permaculture Enthusiast, Vallocycle, Alabama Wildlife Center, UM’s very own mascot, Legacy, an American kestrel falcon, and more! Live music from Wanda Wesolowski, Joel Nelson, and more artists!
- Saturday, April 22nd Let’s Get Dirty!
Farm Work Day at Grouchy Gout Organic Farm10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. UM E-Club will be getting their hands dirty and assisting organic farmer Keith Knowles at Grouchy Goat Farm in preparation for a permaculture orchard! Everyone is welcome!
For any questions or concerns about any of the events during Earth Week, contact Morgan Pennington at email@example.com or 256-690-9153
Vallo Voice 2018
VALLO VOICE is the University’s weekly newsletter for faculty and staff. Issues for 2018 are available below. (View 2017 issues) Jan. 9, 2018 Jan. 23, 2018 Jan. 30, 2018 Feb. 6 Feb. 13 Feb. 20 Feb. 27 March 6 March 13 March 20 April 3 April 10 April 17 April 24(Biweekly for summer) May 1 […]Read More
Vallo Voice 2017
Jan. 10, 2017 Vallo Voice Jan. 17, 2017 Vallo Voice Jan. 24, 2017 Vallo Voice Jan. 31, 2017 Vallo Voice Feb. 7, 2017 Vallo Voice Feb. 14, 2017 Vallo Voice Feb. 21, 2017 Vallo Voice Feb. 28, 2017 Vallo Voice March 7, 2017 Vallo Voice March 14, 2017 Vallo Voice March 21, 2017 Vallo Voice April […]Read More
Campus news updates
VALLO VOICE is the University’s weekly newsletter for faculty and staff View 2017 issues View 2018 issues Issues for 2019 are available below. Jan. 15, 2019 Jan. 22, 2019 Jan. 30, 2019 Feb. 5, 2019 Feb. 12, 2019Read More