In conjunction with Family and Consumer Sciences Day Wednesday, Dec. 3, the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences will sponsor a “‘Dining In’ for Healthy Families” event, and the UM Department of Family and Consumer Sciences is encouraging everyone to participate! Studies link better nutrition to better overall health and weight management for people of all ages. Additionally, children and teenagers who share family meals have been shown to make better grades and possess improved literacy skills. There is also a significant financial aspect to dining in vs. eating out. The emphasis for the “Dining In” Day is to promote eating healthy meals prepared at home as a family.
Some of the things you can do to participate are:
• Commit to dining in on Dec. 3.
• Prepare and eat a healthy meal with your family on Dec. 3.
• Take a photo of your family preparing a healthy meal and post it to Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram using #FCSday and #healthyfamselfie.
• Change your Facebook profile photo to the “I’m Dining In” logo.
• Pin your favorite family meal recipes to a “Dining In” Pinterest board.
• Visit www.aafcs.org/FCSday for more ways to get involved and to access resources.
Contact the UM Department of Family and Consumer Sciences at 205-665-6385 for more information.