The University has adopted the following internal grievance procedure for students to provide for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by the U.S. Department of Education regulations implementing Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 or the Department of Justice regulations implementing the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008.
- A complaint must be filed in writing, containing the name and contact information of the person(s) filing it, and a brief description of the alleged violation of the regulation(s), including relevant dates and university employees or locations.
- Grievances should be addressed to the Disability Compliance Officer, Station 6250, University of Montevallo, Montevallo, AL 35115. If the grievance is regarding the Disability Support Services Office or specifically names the Disability Compliance Officer, also the Director of Disability Services, then the complainant may chose to address it to the Disability Compliance Committee, c/o the EO Officer, Station 6055, University of Montevallo, Montevallo, Al 35115.
- A complaint must be filed within 60 calendar days of the alleged act(s) of discrimination or the complainant becoming aware of the alleged violation. A student who wishes to file a complaint as a result of an alleged action in a class in which the student is presently enrolled may file at the time of the alleged incident or up to 60 days beyond the conclusion of the term.
- An appropriate investigation shall follow filing of the complaint. The investigation shall be conducted by the Disability Compliance Officer and will include the Disability Compliance Committee as named by the President of the University, or other University officials as appropriate. If the grievance names DSS or the Disability Compliance Officer, then the EO Officer will call the Committee and guide the investigation. Any University personnel named in complaint will be notified within 10 calendar days of receipt of the complaint.
- The Disability Compliance Officer, or EO Officer as appropriate, shall issue a written determination regarding the complaint and the description of the resolution, if any, and a copy forwarded to the complainant(s) no later than 30 calendar days after its filing. The Disability Compliance Officer shall maintain the confidential files and records relating to grievances for seven (7) years.
- The student(s) may request reconsideration within 30 days of receiving written determination from the Disability Compliance Officer. Request for reconsideration must be made in writing to the President, University of Montevallo, Station #6001, University of Montevallo, Montevallo, AL 35115. The decision of the President is final.
- The right to a prompt and equitable resolution of a complaint filed shall not be impaired by the student’s pursuit of other remedies, such as filing a Section 504 or ADA complaint with the appropriate state or federal department/agency.
- This procedure shall protect the substantive rights of the interested persons to meet appropriate due process standards and to assure the University of Montevallo complies with the intent of Section 504 and the ADA and implementing regulations.