The Application Process
Step 1: Complete the Pre-Application
Step 2: Wait for the McNair office to determine eligibility. After the McNair Program Director has evaluated your initial application, you will be contacted by the McNair office to let you know if you should continue to Step 3.
Step 3: Once you have been contacted, complete the full application. Use the check sheet on page 3 of the application to make sure you are submitting all necessary materials.
McNair Scholars must:
- Be a full time student (12 hours or more)
- Be a citizen or national of the US or a permanent resident of the US;
- Be a first-generation student whose family income is within federal guidelines OR
- Be a member of a group underrepresented in graduate education (particularly African American, Hispanic, or American Indian);
- Have an overall 3.0 GPA (overall transcript and/or last 30 hours will be evaluated if below 3.0);
- Have two faculty recommendations;
- Have completed the sophomore year to participate in the summer internship;
- Have not previously enrolled in doctoral level study at an institution of higher education; and
- Be in need of the services provided to successfully complete the doctorate