Important information for students pertaining to distance learning during COVID-19 outbreak:
- Main University Coronavirus Information Page
- April 2, 2020 Provost Announcement Regarding May and Summer Courses
- March 26, 2020 Campus Email with Resources for UM Students
- March 25, 2020 Provost Announcement Regarding Spring 2020 Grading
- March 18, 2020 Update on Advising and Course Registration
The Falcon Success Center aspires to support every University of Montevallo student as they achieve academic and personal success at UM and beyond.
Please refer to the Study Disruption Guide for assistance during the transition to distance learning for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester.
Mission and Goals
With a research and data-driven approach, the Falcon Success Center aims to improve the academic and liberal arts experience of our students and increase the University’s retention, progression, and graduation rates by offering a wide range of initiatives that focus on systems of support as well as identifying and addressing barriers to student success.
- Foster an environment of student success that includes faculty, staff, and students–we are all a part of this
- Develop and promote programming, individual outreach, initiatives, and other systems of support for students to overcome barriers to success
- Provide data on student retention, progression, and graduation to the UM community to inform programming, policy, and curriculum decisions
- Support the liberal arts mission of the University of Montevallo by supporting students as they become informed citizens who will make strong additions to the ever-changing workforce
The Falcon Success Center, using a holistic approach, works one-on-on with students to identify and connect them with the resources, activities, and other opportunities that are crucial to their academic, personal, and professional growth.
Using data and research-driven approaches and campus partnerships, the Falcon Success Center advocated for at-risk student populations by offering proactive programming related to their specific needs and barrier to success.
Financial Assistance and Literacy
Often a significant barrier to student success, the Falcon Success Center supports students as they explore their options to pay for college, plan for future college-related expenses, and researches ways to make college more affordable for our students. The Center works to best utilize all available University and student resources to provide the most comprehensive financial plan for a student to obtain their college degree.
Students are not alone at UM. The Falcon Success Center is here to support students throughout their journey while providing the guidance needed to be successful, confident, and proactive students. With the help of peer tutoring, students can build their confidence while learning new course material and while becoming the successful student they want to be. In addition, when students may find themselves struggling but not now why, we can assess their academic needs with them by discussing their study habits and skills, helping them find ways to improve where needed.
The Falcon Success Center provides support and training for the campus-wide development and continuous improvement of academic advising based on research, data analytics, and consideration for best practices. Additionally, the Center assists students who have not yet declared a major, helping them explore major options that fit their personal, academic, and career goals while navigating their degree plans as they work towards graduation in a timely manner. Additionally, the FSC serves the ContinuUM program through pre-transfer advising.
The Falcon Success Center uses university data and tracking measures to identify at-risk students as well as pathways and barriers to student success. These measures are used to inform campus-wide programming, outreach, and policy decisions.
To schedule an appointment with one of our staff members, please call (205-665-6092) or email (email@example.com).
Brenda Knight, MLS
Randi Tubbs, M.A.
Director, Falcon Success Center and Learning Enrichment Center