If you live off campus in an apartment, security is your responsibility. The City of Montevallo Police Department provides routine patrol around all apartments in the City of Montevallo and will assist you upon request. The following guidelines are recommended:
- Keep your doors and windows secured at all times.
- Do not open your door for strangers.
- Mark all valuable items with permanent identification.
- Report all criminal incidents to the City of Montevallo Police Department, (205) 665-2552.
Safety in your car
- Always lock your car when entering and leaving it.
- Before getting in your car, check the front and back seats to make sure no one is hiding there; do this even if your doors have been locked.
- Have your keys in hand so you don’t have to linger before entering the car.
- Do not offer rides to strangers.
- If you suspect that someone is following you, drive to the nearest open public place and sound your horn.
Protect your valuables
- Do not leave your purse, wallet, money or valuables in a conspicuous place. Keep them locked inside a desk drawer or filing cabinet.
- Carry only the amount of money you will need for the day. Pay for large purchases with a check, noting the number of each check used. Often, the theft of a single check is not discovered until a bank statement arrives.
- Always lock your door when you leave the room, even if you’ll only be gone a few minutes. It takes only about eight seconds for someone to walk into an open room and remove an item.
- During semester breaks or other extended absences, take your valuables such as jewelry, stereos, TVs, etc., with you when leaving your residence. These are items that are most frequently stolen and resold.
Walking at night
- Avoid going out alone at night. After dark, you should always be in a group of two or more people.
- Walk near the curb and avoid walkways that pass close to shrubbery, dark doorways, and other places of concealment.
- Stay in well-lighted areas.
- Avoid parking and walking alone in parking lots after dark. If it is necessary to do so, first go by the University of Montevallo Police Department and request an escort.