Junior Alumni Board
The mission of the University of Montevallo Junior Board of Directors is to foster interaction between the University of Montevallo and those who have graduated from the University in the past fifteen years.
In accordance with the University of Montevallo National Alumni Association’s mission and purpose, the purposes of this board shall be to primarily support the needs and wants of young alumni of the University of Montevallo, and shall include:
- Serve and support alumni who have graduated from the University within the last fifteen (15) years with programs and activities that are uniquely tailored to their needs;
- Integrate recent graduates into the Alumni Association;
- Foster communication between the University and its recent graduates; and
- Encourage recent graduates to contribute their time, talent, and financial resources to the continued enhancement of the University community.
Message from Junior Alumni Board President Kristen Dechert ’03
The University of Montevallo Junior Alumni Board serves all alumni who have graduated in the past 15 years. We have opportunities to reconnect at homecoming and host several social events in the Birmingham and Montevallo areas throughout the year. We also serve UM students by providing scholarships and hosting events for professional networking and learning opportunities. To stay up to date on events for recent graduates, please check out our Facebook page. If you would like to serve on the UMJAB or if you would like to nominate someone for the board, please fill out the form linked below.
Kristen Dechert ’03 | President
- During her time as a Montevallo student, Kristen majored in English, was an active member of Delta Gamma, and was a member of the Gold Side. She resides in Starkville, Mississippi, where she is Director of Women in Leadership for Ours to Change Mississippi.
Kacie Slaughter Kilpatrick ’09 | Vice-President and Chair of the Nominations Committee
- Kacie is a graduate of the Communication Studies department. She previously worked in advertising and sales for four years before returning to Montevallo to serve as the Out-of-State Admissions Counselor for three years. She serves as the Coordinator of Transfer Recruitment at The University of Alabama at Birmingham where she is also completing a Master’s in Communication Management.
Stacy Daniels ’16 | Treasurer and Chair of the Finance Committee
- Stacy is a graduate of the Music Department with a B.M. in Vocal Performance and Music Education. While at Montevallo, he was involved in the Concert Choir, Opera Ensemble, was an Orientation Leader, and was a member of Alpha Kappa Lambda Fraternity. He had the pleasure of playing Gold for four years, eventually becoming the male leader in 2015. Currently, Stacy serves as Choral Director at Buckhorn High School, near Huntsville, AL, where he also lives.
Candyce Hughston ’10 | Interim Secretary and Communications Chair
- Candyce Hughston was a member of the SGA, tutored and mentored in the Upward Bound program, was a McNair Scholar, Resident Assistant in Housing and Residence Life, and was Miss Montevallo in 2010. Married to her college sweetheart, Terry Hughston (also a 2010 graduate of UM), they reside in Northport where she serves as a foster care social worker.
Lindsey A. Sherrill ’07 | Special Events Chair
- Lindsey graduated from UM with a B.S. in Theater and Communication Studies, and later with an MBA in 2015. While at UM, Lindsey served on the SGA, was the editor of The Tower and Montage, and played College Night (PV!). After several years in wholesale management in Birmingham, Lindsey now resides in Tuscaloosa where she is completing her Ph.D. in Communication and Information Sciences at The University of Alabama.
Christina Powell ’10 | Social Chair
- While at Montevallo, Christina was a proud Purple where she participated on the PV step team. During her time at UM she also worked in Housing and Residence Life where she lived in Main and Peck Halls. Currently, she is enrolled as an enrollment specialist at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama.
Zachary Banks ’08
- A Birmingham, AL native and graduate of Ramsay High School, Zach went to UM where he obtained the B.A. in Vocal Music and B.M. in Choral Music Education. While at UM, Zach was involved in various activities such as Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, IVOC, serving as DJ under the persona “DJ Showtime” for multiple events, and playing College Night as a Purple where he and Co-Leader Kelsey Sherrer (Crawford) led their side to a victory in 2008. Currently, Zach lives in Hoover and serves as Choral Director at Montevallo Middle and High Schools.
Cortez Bennett ’12
- Cortez served as an SGA Senator for the College of Business, SGA Treasurer, President of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., President of the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC), and as an Orientation Leader during his time at Montevallo. Currently, he is a Credit Analyst at Regions Bank for the commercial banking group, and lives in Birmingham.
Joann Cook ’07
- While at student at Montevallo, Joann’s goal was to graduate loan free. To accomplish this goal, she worked full-time while maintaining a full-time course load which lead to few opportunities to participate in extracurriculars. Since obtaining her MBA in 2013, her job has blossomed into a full out career where she currently serves as a Business Analyst for Regions Bank in Birmingham, where she resides. She is also working towards her Project Management Professional Certification.
Megan Traweek Davis ’11
- Megan graduated from UM with degrees in Mathematics and Communication Studies. While at the university, she served in the SGA as Freshman Forum President, Higher Ed Day Coordinator, and Student Trustee. Other involvement also included serving as President of Lambda Pi Eta (Communications Honor Society). Currently, she works for Avadian Credit Union as an Accounting Specialist. She currently lives in Calera, AL – which is conveniently not too far from Montevallo.
Andrea Echols ’12
- Andrea Echols graduated from UM with her B.S. in Psychology with a minor in Sociology. While at the University, she was an active student photographer, a proud Purple, and was active in the TRiO programs such as Upward Bound and McNair Scholars. She is currently pursuing the M.Ed. in Counseling while working at Magic City Title and Oak Mountain Lanes in Hoover.
Amber James ’17
- While at UM, Amber was a part of the Family and Consumer Science Student Group, The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, Golden Key International Honor Society, and Chi Sigma Iota. Amber is a Birmingham, AL native and currently serves as an AmericCorps member at the YWCA of Central Alabama as a Program Specialist in the Healthy Relationships program while also pursuing her M.Ed. in Counseling at UM. She is a mother, volunteer, and mentor within her community.
Clark Maxwell ’13
- While at Montevallo, Clark was involved in College Night in multiple roles, including serving as Gold Side Leader, Alpha Kappa Lambda Fraternity, and was active with the Art and COMS Departments. He currently works in the Marketing Department at the Birmingham Zoo and lives in the Birmingham area.
The Rev. Brandt L. Montgomery ’07
- Brandt’s Montevallo experience consisted of several activities: Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, The Student Government Association, the Intrafraternity Council, UM Wind Ensemble, UM Jazz Ensemble, Phi Alpha Theta National History Honorary, and College Night (GV!). Since Montevallo, he graduated from The General Theological Seminary in New York City with a Master of Divinity and is currently pursuing a Doctor of Ministry at The University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee. Currently, he serves as Associate Rector and All School Chaplain of the Episcopal Church of the Ascension in Lafayette, Louisiana.
Lindsay Moore ’13
- A member of UM’s Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, Lindsay Moore was involved in the College of Business. She now lives in Birmingham and works at Regions Bank in Commercial Banking.
Jennifer Travis-Scott Nelson ’09
- As a student, Jennifer was involved in the McNair Scholars Program, Inspirational Voices of Christ (IVOC), University Program Council (UPC), Volunteer Corp, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, and Gamma Phi Delta Sorority. She obtained the Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Work with a minor in Psychology and a Master’s degree in Social Work from the University of Georgia in 2012. Currently, she resides in Hoover, where she is the Program Coordinator for the LIBCAP Substance Abuse Program at AIDS Alabama.
Nick Rivers ’17
- Nick Rivers graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and a Minor in Music. While at the University, he was an active member of Alpha Kappa Lambda Fraternity, SGA, Mavens, participated in undergraduate biology research, and played in the Gold Side pit orchestra for College Night.
Lindsey Folsom Underwood ’10
- Lindsey holds the B.M. in Instrumental Music Education. While at UM, she was active in the music department ensembles, both instrumental and choral. She is a 2005 initiate of the Zelta-Deta chapter of Alpha Delta Pi where she served in numerous leadership roles. Lindsey is a proud alumna of the Gold Side where she served as conductor, composer, orchestral member, and cast member. Lindsey is the band director at Montevallo Middle/High Schools and serves as Director of Music at Montevallo First United Methodist Church. She and her husband, B.J. (also a UM alum) currently reside in Crestwood with their Boston Terrier, Andy.
Jah’zmin Young ’09
- While in college, Jah’zmin majored in Psychology and was a part of the Future Falcon Mentor program and the Diversity Task Force. Currently, she is the Career Coordinator at the University of Montevallo, working to equip and develop students to live and work in a global society. She resides in Montevallo, AL.
- Annual Spring Soiree Scholarship Fundraiser held in May
- Junior Alumni Board Leadership Scholarship for $1000 to upperclassman
- Alumni Night at the Ballpark co-sponsored with the Jefferson County Alumni Club in summer
- Summer socials and other events for young alumni to gather and also give back to UM
- Selection of Nathalie Molton Gibbons Young Achiever Award
- Oversee the coordination of the Hope Bryant Smith Memorial 5K Run