Skip to main content
Experiential Learning

Study Abroad

Through Study Abroad, students may complete one or more degree requirements through educational activities off campus. Such activities include, but are not limited to, undergraduate and graduate classroom study, research, intern- or externships, field studies, clinical or observational trials, and service learning accomplished for credit both outside the United States and through participation in the National Student Exchange.

Local courses taken through the BACHE Consortium or transient courses transferred from local universities are not considered Study Abroad courses. Study Abroad can include formal exchange programs with other universities, trips sponsored by the University of Montevallo, or trips sponsored by other institutions of higher education. The length of time can range from a few weeks to a full semester or academic year.

Study Abroad does not substitute for or relieve any residency requirements. Awarding of academic credit is dependent on the type of program and agreement under which the student studied. In all cases, students are encouraged to confirm academic credit arrangements before leaving campus.

English & Foreign Language Study Abroad Program

Faculty-Led Trips

Each summer the Foreign Language faculty takes a small group of UM students on an excursion to a location abroad for directed classes and cultural immersion. UM faculty lead the coursework and direct the sightseeing, making for a rich and meaningful experience that extends beyond the classroom. The fees for these excursions are a few thousand dollars, not including passports and additional fees. Interested students should consult with the Foreign Language Department to check on application due dates, fees, and to verify which trips will be offered each summer.

The following are examples of some recent excursions:

  • Montevallo in Paris (Cité Internationale Universitaire) – Lower-level of French language and an upper-level Independent study summer program
  • Montevallo in Spain (San Lorenzo el Escorial)- Lower-level of Spanish language summer program
  • Montevallo in Peru (Amauta)- Upper-level of Spanish language summer program

Academic Exchanges

The University of Montevallo currently has two international academic exchanges, one with the Technische Universität Dortmund and the other with the Télécom Ecole de Management. Outgoing UM students will pay tuition to UM and will be responsible for housing, board, and other fees to the host institution. The Dortmund Exchange is recommended for sophomores/juniors, especially those with interest in German language or culture. The Telecom Exchange is recommended for juniors who are either majors or minors in a business field. Both institutions use English as the language of instruction.

  • Dortmund Exchange
  • Telecom Exchange


Fulbright Website
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program provides grants for individually designed study/research projects or for English Teaching Assistant Programs. A candidate will submit a Statement of Grant Purpose defining activities to take place during one academic year in a participating country outside the U.S.

Fulbrighters will meet, work, live with and learn from the people of the host country, sharing daily experiences. The program facilitates cultural exchange through direct interaction on an individual basis in the classroom, field, home, and in routine tasks, allowing the grantee to gain an appreciation of others’ viewpoints and beliefs, the way they do things, and the way they think. Through engagement in the community, the individual will interact with their hosts on a one-to-one basis in an atmosphere of openness, academic integrity, and intellectual freedom, thereby promoting mutual understanding.

Grant lengths and dates vary by country. Please consult the specific country summary for details.

Applicants for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program include:

  • Recent graduates: Graduating seniors and recent bachelor’s-degree recipients have some undergraduate preparation and/or direct work or internship experience related to the project.
  • Master’s candidates: Candidates must demonstrate the capacity for independent study/research, together with a general knowledge of the history, culture, and current events of the countries to which they are applying.
  • Young professionals, including writers, creative and performing artists, journalists, and those in law, business, and other professional fields: Competitive candidates who have up to 5 years of professional study and/or experience in the field in which they are applying will be considered. Those with more than 5 years of experience should apply to the Council for International Exchange of Scholars in the Fulbright Scholar Program.
  • Competitive applicants to the Fulbright U.S. Student Program will not have recent extensive experience abroad (excluding recent undergraduate study abroad), especially in the country of application.

How to Participate

Contact the UM Fulbright Program Advisor, Dr. Scott Turner at (205) 665-6199 or

National Student Exchange

How to Apply

Before submitting the application portfolio, you must meet with the NSE Coordinator to confirm eligibility for exchange

Once eligibility is confirmed, you may compile your application portfolio. Your portfolio should be contained in a pocketed folder and should include the following:

  • Application for Exchange
  • Program of Study Statement
  • Reference Academic Adviser
  • Reference-Faculty/Staff
  • References-Other

NOTE: All references should be completed by the referrer, put in a sealed envelope, and included in the portfolio.

Language Proficiency Report (only required for students going to host campuses where the language of instruction is not English)

Once your application portfolio is reviewed and approved, a non-refundable $150 money order made out to NSE is required before your application is entered into the NSE computer system.

Upon securing a placement, you will meet with the NSE Coordinator to finalize your placement via the PAF (Placement Acceptance Form) and begin to receive correspondence from your host NSE coordinator.