Falcon Scholars In Action
Falcon Scholars in Action is an honors program in which 25 UM students are selected each year to serve clients in agencies and programs throughout Shelby County. Students selected are provided with a significant annual stipend from Shelby County in exchange for their service. Examples of services provided include GED/ACT/SAT preparation, tutoring, coordinating physical activities, and providing training in job skills, computer skills, and social skills. All majors are eligible. Students are chosen through a highly competitive application process and will be enrolled in UM 222SL, which can be taken for variable credit ranging from 0–3 credit hours.
Applicants must submit a completed UMFSIA application to the Office of Service Learning either electronically, by handmail, or in person.
- FSIA Application (word format)
- FSIA Application (PDF format)
Applicants must ask two individuals complete and submit recommendation forms either electronically, by handmail, or in person.
One of the references must be a faculty or staff member.
For current Falcon Scholars: Shelby County contact form fsia.shelbyal.com
Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Office of Service Learning and Community Engagement
845 Valley Street, Station 6006
Montevallo, AL 35115
Why should you become a Falcon Scholar?
Honors and Awards
- UMFSIA will be provided with monthly stipends in appreciation for their service.
- UMFSIA are honored in a variety of other contexts such as an awards banquet, commencement recognition and being provided with certification of the accomplishments of the scholar.
- Commit to one year of service, serving your designated agency during fall, spring and one additional term (either May, Summer I or Summer II.)
- Ten hours required each week.
- Attend monthly meetings on campus with the Service Learning Coordinator.
- Submit the required program evaluations each semester
- Complete a timesheet each month.
- Fulfill duties as assigned by site-based supervisors.