An initiative of the University of Montevallo Strategic Plan, the Office of Partnerships and Outreach serves to engage the community through mutually beneficial partnerships that support academic, economic, and sociocultural well-being.
A department within the division of Academic Affairs, Partnerships and Outreach serves as a liaison for the University to both the surrounding communities and the state. Other department initiatives include providing stewardship to current partners as well as strengthening collaborations and communication on campus.
UM’s Hidden Secrets
Email email@example.com today to book a FREE tour of the observatory, swamp or community garden.
The James Wylie Shepherd Observatory
- Located three miles from the main UM campus.
- Boasts the region’s premiere, completely accessible, state-of-the-art telescope with observatory dome.
- Includes restrooms with self-composting toilets, a solar generator, an organic garden and recycled rainwater pumped through a reverse-osmosis filter.
Ebenezer Swamp Ecological Preserve
- Comprises 60 acres of wooded wetlands and is used for teaching and research purposes.
- Includes a wooden boardwalk to allow visitors an enjoyable view of the numerous species of fungi, plants and animals that call the wetlands home.
- Features recycled steel sculptures created by UM art students.
Organic Community Garden
- Provides opportunities for UM and local community members to learn how to grow plants and nourish the earth.
- Offers individuals plots for rent to grow vegetables and fruits for personal consumption.
- Gives students the opportunity to volunteer in the donation garden and help local families in need.