- Who: Middle and high school students in grades 7 through 12
- When: Sunday, September 23 and Monday, September 24, 2018
- Student Registration: $60 paid on or before August 31; $70 after August 31. Checks or money orders should be made out to UM Foundation. This fee includes a festival t-shirt; music will be provided.
- Teacher Registration: $25 paid on or before August 31; $35 after August 31. Checks or money orders should be made out to UM Foundation. Teacher interest sessions provide opportunities for teachers to earn Continuing Education Units.
- Online Payment: can be made at Montevallo Tickets (For Delivery Option, select E-tickets.)
UM Festival of Voices Highlights
- Two high-quality honor choirs comprised of middle school and high school students from public and private school choral programs throughout the State of Alabama.
- Opportunities to collaborate with national and international “choral artists” on traditional and innovative choral literature.
- Collaboration with choral ensembles from the University of Montevallo and invitational participants.
- Experience musical achievement and develop musicianship skills through leadership, education and concert performance opportunities.
- Participation in spotlight concerts and master classes with esteemed choral professionals.
- In-Service Workshops & Interest Sessions
- Choral educator workshops and interest sessions are provided to all participating choral music educators. Continuing Education Units (CEU) are provided to all with attendance of suggested sessions.
Festival of Voices Student Scholarship
This award is in the amount of $1,000.00 ($500.00 per semester) of financial aid for the 2019 freshman year at UM to a high school senior who attends the Festival of Voices and auditions for the voice faculty during the event. The winner is chosen and announced at the concert, which is held at the close of the festival.
Audition procedures are as follows:
- Students must have a letter of recommendation from their high school choral director indicating vocal potential, work habits, and contributions to their high school choral program.
- Students should prepare two (2) selections to be performed for the voice faculty. These pieces should be of contrasting style and should show the student’s musical potential. Suggested repertoire may be found on the auditions web page of the University of Montevallo Department of Music
- No recorded accompaniments should be used. A qualified accompanist will be provided for the audition.
- The winner of the audition is expected to enroll as a voice major at UM (either music education or performance) the following year.