With the health and safety of our students, faculty, staff, and surrounding community at the forefront of all our decisions, we are carefully debating our workshops and performance season. With the continued threat of COVID-19, it is unclear if any workshops, concerts, recitals or other events can be safely held with guests in attendance in-house this semester. We will update our event offerings on this page when it is safe to perform live or when we plan to stream our music events.
UM Festival of Voices Highlights
- Two high-quality honor choirs comprised of middle school and high school students from public and private school choral programs throughout the State of Alabama.
- Opportunities to collaborate with national and international “choral artists” on traditional and innovative choral literature.
- Collaboration with choral ensembles from the University of Montevallo and invitational participants.
- Experience musical achievement and develop musicianship skills through leadership, education and concert performance opportunities.
- Participation in spotlight concerts and master classes with esteemed choral professionals.
- In-Service Workshops & Interest Sessions
- Choral educator workshops and interest sessions are provided to all participating choral music educators. Continuing Education Units (CEU) are provided to all with attendance of suggested sessions.
Festival of Voices Registration
To register online, click here. (This link has been deactivated.)
Festival of Voices Student Scholarship
This award is in the amount of $1,000.00 ($500.00 per semester) of financial aid for the 2021 freshman year at UM, given to a high school senior who attends the Festival of Voices and auditions for the voice faculty during the event. The winner is chosen and announced at the concert, which is held at the close of the festival.
Audition procedures are as follows:
- Students must have a letter of recommendation from their high school choral director indicating vocal potential, work habits, and contributions to their high school choral program.
- Students should prepare two (2) selections to be performed for the voice faculty. These pieces should be of contrasting style and should show the student’s musical potential. Suggested repertoire may be found on the auditions web page of the University of Montevallo Department of Music.
- No recorded accompaniments should be used. A qualified accompanist will be provided for the audition.
- The winner of the audition is expected to enroll as a voice major at UM (either music education or performance) the following year.