Why do an Internship?
Hands-on learning is crucial to a Mass Communication major’s future career. Many hiring managers have told us an internship is the first thing they look for on résumés of recent college graduates. Not only will you gain real-world experience, you’ll also be able to network with industry professionals. Many of our majors have gotten job offers because of their internships.
Although internships are not required, they are strongly encouraged. MC majors and minors can earn up to 6 hours of internship credit that can count toward their degree.
What are the Qualifications to Intern?
MC majors or minors must have:
- Completed 60 hours of credit
- An overall GPA of 2.5
- Completed at least 15 hours of Mass Communication classes
Learn more about our internship program by downloading a copy of the application:
Where have MC Students Interned?
Here are just a few of the places MC majors and minors have interned in recent years:
- WVTM 13 News
- WBRC Fox 6 News
- ABC 33/40 News
- CBS 42 News
- WSFA 12 News (Montgomery)
- Alabama News Network (Montgomery)
- Fox 54 (Huntsville)
- WRBL News 3 (Columbus, GA)
- NewsChannel 5 (Nashville, TN)
- City Channel 26 (Atlanta, GA)
Print & Digital News
- The Selma Times-Journal
- The Trussville Tribune
- Clanton Advertiser
- Alabama Baptist Newspaper
- Paste Magazine
- Birmingham Fun and Family Magazine
- Atlanta Magazine
- Flower Magazine
- Time Inc. Studios
- Red Sky Studios
- Pitts Media
- Video Visions Media Marketing
- Alabama Public Television
- Birmingham Barons Media Dept.
- Hibbett Sports
- Strong Automotive
- The Rick & Bubba Show
- 102.5 The Bull
- 97.3 The Zone
- 99.5 FM
- Clear Channel Radio
- Revocation Radio
- Talladega Super Speedway
- University of Montevallo Sports Information Dept.
- Alabama Sweet Tea Company
- Lambda Chi’s National Public Relations Office
- Women’s Missionary Union (WMU) Children’s Resource Team
- Atlanta Mayor’s Office of Communications
- Hudson Alpha Institute for Biotechnology
Watch the video below to learn more about MC major Kelly Garrett’s internship experience at a local TV station in Birmingham.