Teacher Education Program (TEP)
The central theme of the Teacher Education Program at the University of Montevallo is Educator as a Developing Professional. The idea is that we are never finished products. As professionals, we are continually growing along a continuum from novice to expert. Through our degree programs, we gain knowledge, skills, and dispositions that lead to greater expertise. The true professional will always seek opportunities for growth.
Admission to the University of Montevallo does not qualify an individual for admission to the Teacher Education Program. In order to be admitted to the Teacher Education Program, candidates must first apply and meet specific requirements.
Requirements can be found in the 2021-2022 TEP Handbook.
Undergraduate students normally apply to TEP during the first semester of their education courses. TEP applications for undergraduate students are available at the link below and also in Wills 207.
TEP Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Students
- Completion of the Application for Admission to TEP. This will be handed out in class during your pre-professional block or you can print one out here.
- Completion of 50 hours of college credit and at least 40 hours (24 for Music Ed) in general studies with a minimum grade of C in each course.
- Minimum GPA of 2.75 in three areas: professional studies, teaching field, and total institutional. Information regarding GPA calculation can be found here.
- Completion of COMS 101 (or equivalent), ENG 101 & 102 (or equivalent).
- Satisfactory rating on the TEP interview. After you apply to TEP, you will be contacted regarding your interview.
- Fingerprint/Background clearance. Information regarding fingerprinting can be found here.
- Please note that there are several agencies who complete background checks. Your background check must be completed through the Department of Education. If you had a background check completed by the Department of Human Resources or other agency, you will need to complete another background check through the Department of Education.
Graduate students are not required to complete a TEP application; however, TEP requirements must be met in order to be admitted to Graduate Studies unconditionally. Please note that admission to graduate study at UM does not necessarily equate to admission into the Teacher Education Program. Graduate students who are admitted unconditionally are admitted to both Graduate Studies and TEP. Students with questions about Graduate Studies should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
TEP Admission Requirements for Graduate Students
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum 2.75 GPA from a regionally accredited university or a master’s degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
*Bachelor’s GPAs between 2.0 – 2.74 can qualify a candidate for admission if the alternative Praxis II score for the teaching field is met.
Content Course Prerequisites for Select Teaching Fields:
Successful completion of the teaching field Praxis II test(s) is required.
Please note that there are several agencies who complete background checks. Your background check must be completed through the Department of Education. If you had a background check completed by the Department of Human Resources or other agency, you will need to complete another background check through the Department of Education.
The TEP Interview is included virtually with your admission application. You will answer several questions pertaining to your thoughts on education and your personal educational background. These will be read by the Teaching, Leadership, and Technology department faculty. After they are reviewed, your score will be calculated as part of the admissions process for the Alternative Master’s Program.
It is important that you submit your responses in order to proceed in the admissions process. You will access the information about the interview through the online application portal.
TEP Interview Dates:
Undergraduate candidates will be notified by email regarding interview dates.
Graduate admission candidates will be notified by the Graduate Office regarding their interview.