Undergraduate Research Travel Award
The Office of Undergraduate Research provides travel awards in the amount of up to $500 to undergraduate researchers for travel to professional meetings and conferences to present papers or posters. The award may be used for registration, travel, lodging, and related expenses.
Students should download the application, complete the application and email the document to their faculty mentor. The faculty mentor will then add their statement of support to the Travel Award application. After these steps are completed, the completed application in pdf format can be sent to URProgram@montevallo.edu with the email subject “UR Travel Award”. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Questions can be emailed to Dr. Cindy Tidwell at URProgram@montevallo.edu or Ms. Tonja Battle at email@example.com.
- Applicants must be students in good academic standing with no outstanding Incomplete grades.
- Applicants must be presenting a paper/poster at a scholarly or professional conference. Attendance only cannot be funded.
- Applicants may apply while awaiting confirmation of acceptance from conference organizers; however, no grant checks will be issued without the submission of documentation showing acceptance. If documentation is not received within a specified time period, the award offer is cancelled.
- Undergraduate Research Travel Awards may be used to cover expenses as outlined in the University Travel Reimbursement forms.
- Receipts should be submitted to the UR office within 10 days of return from the conference along with a 250 word statement of your experience at the conference.
- If you notify Undergraduate Research office of cancellation after funds have been disbursed or if you do not attend, the money must be returned to UR within 30 business days of the meeting date.
- Students are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications are sorted in order of receipt date. Preference will be given to students who have not previously been awarded UR Travel Awards.
- A completed UM travel request form must be submitted along with a copy of your conference application
- A statement about how will presenting your research at this conference benefit you and your educational goals
- An abstract (150-250 words)
- Letter of reference from faculty mentor
- Itemized budget
- A statement regarding how you propose to fund any travel expenses exceeding $500
- Optional: A CV for the student listing educational background, degree status, significant awards or accomplishments, and publications to date, if any.
- Optional: A copy of the paper/poster to be presented.