English Graduate Programs

Funding & Grants

Graduate Instructor Fellowships

We regularly offers several fellowships for English M.A. students who are interested in working as graduate instructors in UM’s innovative English 100 program. Instructors gain valuable experience designing and teaching composition curriculum for one-on-one meetings with undergraduates. Fellowships include a stipend of $1500 per semester. Applications are available starting May 1 on the UM employment website.

Graduate Assistantships

A limited number of university-wide graduate assistantships are offered periodically. The graduate coordinator will notify students as opportunities become available. The application process varies depending on the department offering the assistantship. Graduate assistants are students first and employees second. They have as their primary focus advanced study and ultimately the completion of a graduate degree. Therefore, the services they provide as graduate assistants should complement professional development in their chosen field of study.

Graduate assistants must maintain the cumulative 3.0 grade point average required of all graduate students and must perform satisfactorily in the judgment of the employing department/supervisor. Of course, the availability of funds is a critical factor as well. If a student is terminated, Graduate Admissions and Records will be notified by memo from the employer.

Graduate Student Research/Conference Funding Guidelines

Funding is set aside each year for graduate students to conduct research or present work at academic conferences. Requests for awards should be approved by your faculty advisor, endorsed by the department chair, and delivered to the Office of Graduate Admissions and Records. The application should include a proposed projected budget of expenses, information about department cost sharing, and specific travel details (if travel is involved).

Application Deadlines:
Fall – September 15
Spring – February 1

Visit the following links for the application and application guidelines

  • Application for Graduate Student Research and Conference Funding
  • Graduate Student Research and Conference Funding Guidelines
  • In-State Reimbursement Form 2014
  • Out-of-State Reimbursement Form 2014

Please mail completed application to:

University of Montevallo
Hill House, Station 6351
Montevallo, AL 35115
E-mail: casgraduate@montevallo.edu