Write better—right now—at the Harbert Writing Center, where we
- Offer consultation services with trained consultants—at no charge
- Work with all students in all disciplines
- Help with all parts of the writing process, from brainstorming to revision to polishing
- Visit montevallo.mywconline.com
- Set up your account (the first time only)
- Log in and choose your appointment time with the consultant of your choice
- You may also drop in for appointments in Humanities Hall room 311, Monday-Thursday, 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Check the current schedule at montevallo.mywconline.com
- You may meet with your consultant in person or virtually, Monday-Friday, 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Evening appointments—Monday-Thursday, 5:00-8:00 p.m.—are only available virtually
- For virtual appointments: share your document and live chat/ live video conference with your consultant
- For in-person appointments: look at your document together on your device and focus on the aspects you want help with
- Discuss your concerns with writing and with your assignment
- Get help with big picture challenges, like ideas and research
- If there’s time, get help with smaller issues, like grammar and punctuation
- Expect your writing to continue improving with subsequent consultations
Harbert Writing Center Mission Statement
The Harbert Writing Center supports the University of Montevallo’s institutional mission by providing students in any area of study a space supportive of intellectual and personal growth and focused on academic and professional achievement. We aim to promote a writing culture by focusing on the individual needs of writers, the instructional needs of professors, and the communication endeavors of the broader community. We support the traditional and innovative practices unique to Montevallo by embracing diverse rhetorical strategies, learning styles, and expressive forms. Through assisting students with peer-to-peer consultations, we aim for students to build on skills at any level, advance reflective and analytical practices, and thereby understand writing processes. To this end, our practices emphasize inclusivity, collaborative practice, and empowerment.