Sigma Tau Delta is the International English Honor Society. A member of the Association of College Honor Societies, it was founded in 1924 at Dakota Wesleyan University.
The Society strives to
- confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate and professional studies;
- provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language and writing;
- promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and
- serve society by fostering literacy.
With over 800 active chapters located in the United States, Europe, the Middle East and the Caribbean, there are more than 1,000 faculty sponsors and approximately 9,000 members inducted annually.
Sigma Tau Delta’s central purpose is to confer distinction upon students of the English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies. Sigma Tau Delta also recognizes the accomplishments of professional writers who have contributed to the fields of language and literature.
Sigma Tau Delta offers students scholarships, publication opportunities and a community of students who are enthusiastic about the study of English language and literature. Our chapter hosts social events, academic workshops and various other gatherings where we would love to see you!