Welcome to the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Montevallo! We offer an outstanding and unique educational experience for undergraduate and graduate students in a wide variety of majors, minors, and concentrations.
Through a wide range of class offerings, our students acquire not only knowledge but also skills and abilities, such as oral and written communication skills, the ability to solve problems both analytically and creatively, personal and social responsibility, and cultural literacy. Upon graduation, you will find that employers value these attributes as well, and thus our graduates find meaningful employment in myriad fields, from government to education to business to non-profits.
YOU BELONG AT MONTEVALLO AND THE COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES and here’s why. We offer an exceptional educational experience characterized by:
- A world-class, full time faculty who are dedicated to teaching, learning, and student success
- Nationally accredited degree programs
- Innovative new programs such as the Environmental Studies Major, the Criminology Concentration in Sociology, and a new 21st century Computer Science major
- A focus on interdisciplinary and collaborative courses and degree programs that foster the critical connections necessary in our world today
- Beyond-the-classroom learning opportunities that foster broadly educated students, including:
- Undergraduate Research (UR) with faculty mentors, which provides opportunities for university, state, and national presentations with UR travel awards.
- Service and Experiential Learning that enriches a liberal-arts education and produces graduates who are prepared to embrace the complex challenges of their world. Students can participate in activities at the Ebenezer Swamp, the James Wylie Shepard Observatory, and the Community Garden, or engage in various volunteer activities.
- Study Abroad experiences led by faculty mentors, which expose students to a variety of international cultures.
- Innovative class projects, including student-produced published collections and literary and artistic exhibitions.
- Internships at the local, state, and national levels to enhance the transition from college to careers.
Come visit our historic, beautiful, and welcoming campus and meet our dedicated faculty, staff, and students. We hope to welcome you to the UM family!
Dr. Mary Beth Armstrong, Dean