The Social Work major prepares students for beginning generalist social work practice with individuals, families, groups, communities, and organizations in a variety of social service settings including child welfare, mental health, aging, and public health. Our program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education to provide such education at the undergraduate level. Upon graduation, students may apply for licensure at the Bachelor Social Work (BSW) level and for advanced standing Master of Social Work (MSW) programs in graduate schools.
Social Work Program Mission
The University of Montevallo Social Work Program provides a professional education for beginning level generalist practice with emphasis on the poor, vulnerable, and underserved. Generalist practice is founded upon the purposes and core values of the social work profession.
Social Work Program Goals
- To educate generalist practitioners with strong professional identity and commitment to the historical knowledge, spirit, values, and ethics of the social work profession.
- To prepare beginning level generalist practitioners to effectively engage, assess, and intervene in micro and macro level practices with individuals, families, groups, communities, and organizations.
- To prepare culturally competent practitioners who understand and value human diversity as it relates to the practice of social work.
- To prepare practitioners who understand and appreciate the value of scientific inquiry, qualitative and quantitative data collection, and systematic data analysis for the purpose of informing best practices for service delivery, evaluation, advocacy, and critical thought.
- To prepare generalist practitioners who understand the dynamics and consequences of social, economic, and environmental injustice and the importance of alleviating injustice and oppression
- To prepare generalist practitioners to engage in advocacy and policy practice at the state, local, and federal levels for the purposes of developing consumer resources and enhancing service delivery.
Social Work Turns 90
Read the featured article about how the University of Montevallo helped build the foundation for the Social Work profession.
Social Work Newsletter
The Social Work Newsletter contains alumni news, student and faculty activities – research, volunteer and advocacy – upcoming events and participation opportunities.
Current Issue: Social Work Newsletter Fall 2017
- Social Work Newsletter Fall 2016
- Social Work Newsletter Spring 2014
- Social Work Newsletter Spring 2013
- Social Work Newsletter Fall 2012
- Social Work Newsletter Spring 2012
- Social Work Newsletter Fall 2011
- Social Work Newsletter Spring 2011
- Social Work Newsletter Fall 2010
- Social Work Newsletter Spring 2010
- Social Work Newsletter Fall 2009
- Social Work Newsletter Spring 2009
- Social Work Newsletter Fall 2008
- Social Work Newsletter Spring 2008
- Social Work Newsletter Fall 2007
- Social Work Newsletter Spring 2007