The University of Montevallo is pleased to offer a major in Social Science, consisting of courses in Sociology, Political Science, History, and Geography. Montevallo’s Social Science Program is cross-disciplinary and offers a broad exposure to a liberal arts education. Students develop judicious thinking through the study of society, politics, history, and geography.
Junior and senior level courses are taught in small classes that promote class discussion. Individual attention is provided by a highly qualified and diverse faculty.
Students majoring in Social Science have a wide variety of exciting career options from which to choose. Social Science is an excellent pre-professional degree with many graduates choosing to continue their education at law or graduate school. The program also offers excellent preparation for graduate school in any of the core disciplines (Sociology, History, Political Science, and Geography). Social Science majors often continue their studies in UM’s Teacher Education Program in the College of Education as preparation for teacher certification. (Contact the Teacher Education Program at 205.665.6366 for additional information.)
Why Social Science at UM?
- Multi-disciplinary: Students take courses in geography, history, political science, sociology, and economics.
- Junior and senior level courses are taught with limited class sizes, promoting class discussion and individual attention.
- Emphasis is on developing written and oral communication, research, and critical thinking skills.
- Courses prepare students to be informed citizen leaders.
- Career opportunities in education, law and academia abound.