At the University of Montevallo, we wear Purple and Gold, but we think Green.
Our Environmental Studies program is top notch thanks to our devoted faculty and staff and a number of invaluable hands-on resources like University Lake, the James Wylie Shepherd Observatory, the UM Organic Community Garden, and the Ebenezer Swamp Ecological Preserve. We also have other ways to get involved in making our community more sustainable, like ValloCycle, recycling, and the Green Fund. All of these facilities and opportunities are open to the whole campus community – after all, more participation always makes for a bigger impact.
The University of Montevallo has been recognized nationally for our efforts in sustainability. We were honored as a 2016 U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School, and in 2019 we received our first STARS Bronze Rating for sustainability achievements.
Why Environmental Studies at UM?
- ES emphasizes integrating and applying diverse disciplinary perspectives to complex environmental problems.
- Our program gives students opportunities to develop leadership skills and work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team on a complex environmental problem with real-world stakeholders.
- Junior and senior level courses are taught in classes with limited numbers, promoting class discussion and individual attention.
- Internship opportunities are available at a variety of environmental organizations in the region.
- Our commitment to the environment goes well beyond course offerings and includes a number of green initiatives and facilities.
What kinds of careers can I pursue with a degree in Environmental Studies?
- Environmental Management (park ranger, game warden, pollution prevention, landscape management, water conservation)
- Environmental Monitoring (water quality technician, health and safety, compliance officer, EIA assessment)
- Environmental Law/Policy (advocacy, legislative aid, politics, policy analyst)
- Environmental Education (naturalist, outdoor educator, zoo educator, ES teacher)
- Environmental Information (marketing, journalism, creative writing)
- Organizational Sustainability (sustainability officer, recycling coordinator, energy conservation, environmental economist)
- Urban planning (transportation, waste management, public works)
Contact Dr. Susan Caplow by e-mail at email@example.com for more information.