Skip to main content
Founders' Day

Hiding of the Crook

At the beginning of Founders’ week each year, students set out on a clue-filled hunt for the Crook, a large wooden walking stick carved with the names of those who have found it in years past.

The original Crook from 1926 is encased in a glass display in the Office of Alumni Affairs in Reynolds Hall. In recent years, clues are released through email and social media until it is found.

The finder is then recognized at Founders’ Day, presented with UM prizes and allowed to carve his/her name onto the Crook, becoming a part of one of the oldest traditions on campus.