“All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.”
– Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Student employees are a vital part of Montevallo’s campus community – they perform invaluable services with enthusiasm and dedication while balancing their individual academic commitments. Beginning in 2017, the University will recognize an exceptional student employee for their reliability, quality of work, initiative, professionalism, and for making a unique contribution to their department by naming a Student Employee of the Year.
The following guidelines and conditions apply:
- Student employees must be nominated by supervisor or staff member to win.
- Only one student employee may be nominated per department.
- The University of Montevallo’s SEOTY nominating form must be used to nominate a student employee.
- Nominees must have been employed by UM for a minimum of 6 months from June 1 prior to the selection period and have worked an average of 8 hours per week while classes are in session.
- Graduate assistants and/or teaching assistants are exempt from participation.
- To win students must have been enrolled ½ time while working (6 hours for undergraduates and 5 hours for graduate students).
- A committee comprised of University faculty and staff will score the written nominations. The top three nominees will be forwarded to the University of Montevallo National Alumni Association (UMNAA) and their Student Services Committee will determine the annual winner.
- The winner will be announced during the Student Employee week held in April.
Montevallo’s Student Employee of the Year may be nominated for additional recognition through the Southern Association of Student Employment Administrators (SASEA) and the National Association of Student Employment Administrators (NSEA).