May 20: Campus Email (CARES Act Student Information)
Due to the disruption caused by COVID-19 this spring, you may be eligible to receive grant funding from the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
Below are the criteria for receiving funding through the CARES Act:
- You must have been taking in-class courses at the University of Montevallo as of March 16, 2020.
- You must have filled out a 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be eligible to participate in financial aid programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. An email will be sent to all eligible students on or before June 1.
- The funds can be used to offset expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to COVID-19, including housing, meals and other necessary resources.
- The amount of each grant award will vary based on your Title IV financial aid status. This money is a grant, and does not have to be repaid.
- International students, who are not U.S. citizens, are not eligible because they cannot apply for federal Title IV financial aid.
The University has also set aside a separate $150,000 in federal emergency funds to be distributed to students who can demonstrate financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. To apply for this separate financial assistance, visit Montevallo.edu/emergency-assist and choose the “COVID-19 Food and Financial Assistance Application” option. The deadline for this is Friday, May 22.