March 27: HR Memo Regarding Staff Pay Procedures
To: Full-time, Part-time, and Temporary Staff Employees and their Supervisors
We want to provide guidance related to time and leave reporting given the COVID-19 outbreak and our change in operating status of our campus. All staff should be in contact with their supervisors about their work status; although we are not requiring anyone to work on campus at this time (currently through April 5), division heads and supervisors will work with their staff on plans to address critical operations.
These procedures will allow us to have a tally for payroll expenditures in the event of government-issued COVID-19 tax credits or reimbursements.
For the weeks of (March 16-20 and March 30 through April 3), the following procedures apply:
- Nonexempt staff should report all hours worked these weeks as “Regular Hours” in Employee Self-service (ESS) – this includes hours worked remotely. These hours will be paid in accordance with your regular pay schedule, at your regular rate, and with applicable deductions. We want to grant “Gratuity Hours” to be utilized at a later time in coordination with your supervisor to thank those who are handling critical tasks.
- Nonexempt staff who have hours that are scheduled, but not worked during the weeks of March 16-20 and March 30 through April 3 should report their unworked scheduled time utilizing the “Administrative Hours” earnings type in Employee Self Services (ESS), these hours will be paid in accordance with your regular pay schedule, at your regular rate, and with applicable deductions.
- Again, to allow us to track the impact of the outbreak on our operations, exempt staff should track and report to their supervisor all hours worked this week whether on campus or remote – there is a form attached to this message and posted on the HR webpage to assist you. No leave needs to be reported on their leave report in ESS during these weeks.
For the week of the regular spring break (March 23-27), the regular Spring Break procedures apply:
- Nonexempt staff should report all hours worked as “Regular Hours” in ESS in addition to entering “Administrative Hours” for hours for their normal work schedule that are not worked. Note, in previous periods we utilized “University Closing Hours”, but we will no longer be using that description.
- Exempt staff do not need to report any hours taken on their leave report.
Please continue to monitor your email and visit the HR webpage for this and other important employee information (https://www.montevallo.edu/about-um/administration/human-resources/).
If you have any questions about these leave provisions, please contact your supervisor, Division Head or Human Resources via email.
Thank you for your cooperation and support in keeping our community safe.