March 13: Timely Notification Bulletin from UMPD
In compliance with the “Timely Warning” provisions of the Clery Act, the University of Montevallo is giving notice of an ongoing possibly dangerous situation involving the campus community.
The Coronavirus, or COVID-19, has been confirmed in Alabama. As a result, the University of Montevallo is encouraging all members of the campus community to take action to help avoid the spread of this virus.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend the following:
- Clean your hands often. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public space. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact. Avoid close contact with people who are sick. Put distance between yourself and other people if the virus is spreading in your community. This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.
- Stay home if you’re sick.
- Cover coughs and sneezes. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, or use the inside of your elbow. Throw used tissues in the trash. Immediately wash your hands with soap and water.
- Wear a facemask if you are sick or are taking care of someone who is.
- Clean and disinfect. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, desks, phones, keyboards, and others.
If you do become sick on campus and think you possibly have been exposed to the Coronavirus,CALL health services at 205-665-6275 and describe your symptoms. They will ask a series of questions and will give you recommendations. If you are at home call your normal doctor or urgent care clinic before going in to see them.
This is a rapidly changing situation and is being constantly monitored by UM administration. More information on UM’s response can be found here.