As we all settle into the first few weeks of the fall semester, temporary health and safety measures will be in place on campus, effective immediately, in light of the current COVID-19 case level in Shelby County and Alabama.
The University will temporarily require face coverings for all individuals in the following areas:
- Academic buildings (regardless of social distancing)
- Laboratories and clinics (regardless of social distancing)
- Personal meeting spaces (such as students meeting with faculty and advisors)
- Indoor common areas
- Health-related service offices
- Areas that serve children younger than 12
- During large indoor gatherings on campus
- Other areas marked by official University signage or otherwise clearly communicated by the University
Face masks will not be required in the following situations:
- In residence halls
- When outdoors
- While actively eating or drinking
- While exercising
- Employees alone in their private workspace or automobile
- Faculty teaching as long as 6 feet of social distancing can be maintained
Students, as you prepare to return to campus, please bring a face mask with you to use during the beginning of the fall semester. Free face masks will also be available once you arrive on campus.
If you have not yet gotten a vaccine, it is strongly encouraged that you do so. The vaccination rate on our campus, in our county and state will play a major role in helping us finally bring an end to the COVID-19 pandemic. A list of local distribution locations can be found at vaccines.gov/search.
UM will hold an on-campus vaccine clinic on Friday, Aug. 27, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Student Health Services for any student, faculty or staff member needing a first or second dose of the Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with the Alabama Attorney General’s public notice released on Aug. 3, the University has updated its isolation and quarantine protocol for the fall. See the revised isolation and self-monitoring protocol here.
UM’s COVID-19 Task Force will continue to diligently monitor developments on campus during the first few weeks of the semester and into the Labor Day holiday. Any necessary updates to these temporary measures will be posted on the Falcon Forward 2021 webpage and communicated via UM email.
We look forward to welcoming you back for a safe and fun semester!