April 9: HR Memo Regarding UM Student Employment Guidance
Student Employees and their Supervisors
RE: Novel Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) Paid Leave and Remote Work Provisions
For our student employees, the University will institute the following practices related to their pay:
- Hourly paid Jobship Workers and Graduate Assistants who are not permitted to work due to the COVID-19 stay at home mandates will be paid for the hours they would have been scheduled to work through the pay period ending April 25, 2020. Final pay deposits for Administrative Pay will be issued to these workers on May 1.
- Students should continue recording their hours worked and/or hours scheduled but not worked on their Banner Self-service timesheets. Supervisors should submit Administrative Pay Forms to the Payroll Office to validate Jobship and GA employees’ hours scheduled but not worked through April 25, 2020. These forms are located on the HR webpage.
- Jobship Workers and Graduate Assistants who continue to work on campus or remotely should record their time worked, indefinitely.
- Work Study employees will receive pay according to the following parameters. All work study appointments will end for the academic year on May 31, 2020.
- Work Study employees will not be paid amounts exceeding their Work Study awards as defined in their financial aid packages. Reaching individuals’ work study earnings thresholds will signal the end of the students’ work study employment for the academic year.
- Work Study employees who have not met their earnings threshold should continue reporting the hours they work and/or were scheduled to work through May 2, 2020 via their Banner Self-service timesheets. Supervisors of these students should submit Administrative Pay Forms to the Payroll Office to validate the Work Study employees’ hours scheduled but not worked.
- Work Study employees who were scheduled to work after May 2, 2020 may continue receiving wages for hours worked or for time scheduled but not worked as long as they do not exceed the amount of their work study award.
- Flat Rate paid student employees, e.g., Montage and Alabamian employees and Resident Assistants, will continue receiving payments as stipulated by the terms of their employment. These employees should continue recording the number of units for which they are to be paid in their Banner Self-service timesheets. Their supervisors will need to submit Administrative Pay Forms to Payroll for any payments issued but not actually earned.
- Student employees should be in contact with their supervisor to determine whether they are to work and/or are needed for their scheduled hours. They should also confirm with their supervisors their scheduled hours.
- All student employees entering hours into their timesheets that were not actually worked should make a comment on their Banner Self-service timesheet that the hours were not worked due to COVID-19 safety procedures.
- Supervisors should complete the Student Administrative Paid Hours Form for each student who is being paid for scheduled work hours that are not worked for each pay period for which hours are submitted in Employee Self-service. They should also approve the timesheet as usual in Employee Self-service and then send a copy of the Student Administrative Paid Hours Form to email@example.com.
These measures are subject to change as the situation evolves.
If you have any questions about these provisions, please contact your supervisor, division head, the Payroll Office or Human Resources via email.