Colleges and universities are required to comply with the final regulations of the Solomon Amendment (effective 10/23/1998). Failure to comply may result in the loss of federal funding including various forms of federal student aid. Note: The Solomon Amendment supersedes FERPA. Solomon is based on the definition of student recruiting information.
“The release of directory information without consent shall be limited to legitimate educational purposes or in accordance with the Solomon Amendment.”
Student Recruiting Information
- Address (e.g. permanent, mailing)
- Telephone number(s)
- Academic Major
- Class Level (e.g. freshman, graduate)
- Degree(s) awarded
- Any information released is limited to the current semester or the previous semester. If the request is received between semesters, the requestor must specify previous semester or upcoming semester.
- Students must be enrolled.
- If a student requests that his/her directory information be withheld under FERPA, this protection will be honored under Solomon; the student’s records will not be released.
- Under Solomon, the definition of sub-population is limited to the data elements included in the definition of student recruiting information. Sub-population definitions according to veteran status, academic performance, ethnicity, nationality, and gender are specifically excluded under Solomon.
- Information released is limited to military recruiting purposes only. The request for information must be submitted in writing and clearly identify the military recruiting organization. Military recruiters must be from one of the following organizations:
Air Force Reserve
Air Force National Guard
Army National Guard
Coast Guard Reserve
Marine Corps Reserve
Requesting Recruitment Information
Responses to Solomon Amendment requests for student information are processed by the Registrar’s Office. All requestors are required to submit the following documents:
- A written request, on letterhead, that clearly identifies the military recruiting organization.
- A completed and signed Solomon Amendment Request Form is needed.