The University of Montevallo will extend the following Alternative Grading Option (previously implemented for Spring and
Summer 2020) to the Fall 2020 semester:
- For all courses, faculty will enter the letter grade (A, B, C, D, P, S, F, NC) earned by each student by the final grading deadline for each end of Fall term by the posted deadline. The original letter grade will be archived.
- If a student choose to keep all originally entered grades, no action is required by the student and the grades will be calculated into the semester and overall institutional grade point average (GPA). Grades of “P” and “D” or higher will apply to earned hours.
- Alternatively, students may elect to convert one or more letter grades to the following non-punitive grades:
a. Pass (P) – replaces earned letter grade of “C” or above. The course will count as credit toward degree requirements but the grade will not factor into the calculation of the student’s term and overall grade point average. A grade of “P” will be displayed on the academic transcript in place of the assigned letter grade.
b. Credit (CR) – replaces earned letter grade of “D”. The course will count as credit toward degree requirements but the grade will not factor into the calculation of the student’s term and overall grade point average. A grade of “CR” will be displayed on the academic transcript in place of the assigned letter grade. Note: some courses and programs require a grade of “C” or higher and “CR” will not meet that requirement.
c. No Credit (NC) – replaces earned letter grade of “F”. The course will not count as credit toward degree requirements and the grade will not factor into the calculation of the student’s term and overall grade point average. A grade of “NC” will be displayed on the academic transcript in place of the assigned letter grade.
d. Note: Faculty entered grades of U (certain courses only) or NC (ENG 101, 102, 103, 104, MATH 131) are not eligible for conversion as they do not calculate into the semester or overall institution grade point average by default. e. Grades of incomplete may be not be converted until a final letter grade is submitted by the faculty.
- Students should consult carefully with advisors, chairs, program coordinators, certification officers (TES, VA, athletics, etc.), the Falcon Success Center, and/or the Associate Registrar (for graduation candidates) in order to make the best decisions before requesting grade conversion.
- If a student chooses to convert one or more letter grades to an alternative grade, an official request must be made with the Registrar’s Office via an electronic form. The form will be available on the Registrar’s Office webpage and link in the Registrar’s Resources page in Canvas (located in the Help menu for students).
- Final grade conversion requests for Fall 2020 must be submitted no later than:
a. Thursday, December 10th for Fall graduation candidates
b. Thursday, January 7th for all other students
- The University is committed to a flexible, understanding approach when reviewing Academic Standing (suspension, dismissals, etc.), Standard Academic Progress (financial aid), and scholarship renewals.
- Inclusion on Dean’s and President’s List will be based on the recorded grades before the application of requested grade conversions.
Note for Graduate Students – The alternative grading option may not apply to all graduate programs. Please contact you graduate program advisor or coordinator for more information. Graduate Programs will make the decision about utilization of this system for their individual programs and inform the Provost’s Office and Registrar’s Office.
Submitting a Request
After faculty submit letter grades earned by students for each class, students will then have the option to convert one or more final grades to the P/CR/NC grading option (see above). Students will submit requests through a Dynamic Form linked on the Registrar’s webpage and the Registrar’s Resources page in Canvas (located in the help menu).
Students login to Dynamic Forms with their user name (first part of the UM email) and network password.
Students should consult with their academic advisor, program coordinator, any certification officers (athletic, veteran, teacher education), and others before submitting a request for conversion.
Each request submitted will be forwarded to the student’s primary academic advisor for acknowledgement. This is to ensure the requested conversion will not harm the student’s academic progress or standing in a certified program. The advisor must acknowledge the request before it’s forwarded to the Registrar’s Office for processing.
All grade conversions to P/CR/NC will be processed as a grade change in order to archive the original earned grade.
GPAs, Academic Standing, and Transcripts
Semester and overall GPAs will be updated and calculated by Tuesday, December 15th. Academic standing lists will be forwarded to department chairs and college deans for review on that day. UM is committed to a flexible, understanding approach in reviewing academic standing and notifications to students will be sent out by the end of the week.
As grade conversions are processed, GPAs and transcripts will be updated individually. Therefore, in order to distribute more accurate transcripts, requests for transcripts containing final fall grades will be processed on Thursday December 17th.