Frequently Asked Questions
What is two-factor authentication?
Two-factor authentication, also referred to as multi-factor authentication, provides an additional layer of security when logging in to a website. Two-factor is becoming the standard in cyber security. Google, Apple, and other services all have their own two-factor authentication methods. In short, passwords are no longer sufficient in protecting our sensitive data, we’ve got to add another layer of security to our accounts.
What are my authentication options?
- DUO Push – if you have the DUO Mobile App installed on your smartphone or tablet, you can receive a push notification. From the app, you can approve or deny the login attempt.
- Passcodes – You can receive a passcode by the University of Montevallo logo in the DUO Mobile App, this does not require any wireless connectivity. You can also obtain a passcode through our self-service application. You do not have to have a smartphone for this option.
- Phone Call – you can receive a phone call on your mobile phone or landline phone. The call will give instructions on approving or denying the login attempt.
- Hardware Token – If you do not have access to a mobile device you may be eligible for a hardware token. Apply for Token
Is DUO mandatory?
DUO is required for all UM Faculty/Staff and students. Future UM students who have been admitted to attend UM are eligible for DUO, and will be required to use it by the add/drop date at the beginning of their first semester.
What are Passcodes?
If you opt-out of the DUO Mobile Application push notifications, there are a variety of passcode options to utilize as your second verification method.
- Passcodes via DUO Mobile App – If you have the DUO Mobile app installed, you can receive a single passcode by tapping the University of Montevallo logo in the mobile app. This code must be used immediately.
- Passcodes via SMS – users can receive a batch of one-time use codes via text message. You can request these by logging into your Banner Self Service as you typically would. Once you received the DUO prompt, you can click Enter Passcode, then click on the blue button “Text me new codes.” These codes do not expire, and they are valid until used.
- Online-Generated Temporary Passcodes – If you do not have your device with you, you can obtain temporary passcodes. Each of the passcodes can only be used once, and will expire after 30 minutes. Contact the Solution Center for assistance.
What does “Remember this device for 30 days” mean?
Selecting this option will allow you to bypass DUO authentication for the next 30 days. This only works if you are logging in from the same computer, IP address and browser. You will still be prompted to verify once – with your username and password.
Please note that if you have tools or policies running that regularly delete or clean cookies, the remember me feature will not work. If you do need to access your settings (perhaps to add another device) just try another browser. Remember me will not work if your browser is set to private browsing mode. Remember me will also not work if you have enabled autopush. If you’d like to disable autopush, follow these instructions.
Forgot your device?
If you do not have your device with you, you can obtain a batch of temporary pass codes. Each passcode can only be used once, and will expire after 30 minutes.
*If you have lost your device, please report it to the Solution Center at 205-665-6512. We want to ensure someone else does not maliciously authenticate your account with your device.
Can I use DUO without using wifi or cellular data?
Yes. The passcode option on the DUO app does not require wifi or cellular connectivity, it even works on airplane mode. To use this option, visit the DUO app on your smartphone, and tap the key icon to obtain a passcode. Enter the passcode into the DUO prompt when logging into Banner Self Service.
How does DUO work on student and faculty/staff email?
When you visit Student Email or Faculty and Staff Email to check email, you will see the standard DUO prompt that you see when logging into your UM Account. You will follow the same procedure as you typically would when logging into your UM account. You can even use the Remember Me for 30 Days feature!
If you use a smart phone mail app (like outlook or your device’s standard Mail App) for your email, you will not notice any change. You will be able to use your email as you typically would. However, when adding a UM Email account to an iOS device (iPhone or iPad), DUO will require an authentication to verify the account.
What if I get a notification that someone is trying to access my account, but I didn’t request it?
Select the red X to deny access to your account, then promptly use Password Reset.
Is the DUO smartphone app available for iOS (iPhone/iPad) and Android devices?
Yes! Visit the app store on your smartphone to download DUO Mobile.
Please note that Google Play Services are required to receive push notifications on Android. Users without Google Play Services installed will have to “fetch” by swiping down in the DUO Mobile app.
What if I get a new smartphone or device?
If your phone number has not changed, login to Office 365 then choose the “Call my Phone” option. Then click on replace your existing phone or tablet with a new device. Choose your device from the list, and then follow the instructions to activate DUO Mobile on your new device.
If you have a new phone number, you will first need to obtain a temporary passcode (see the ‘What are Passcodes?’ section above). Login to Office 365 and enter the temporary passcode. Click on “Replace your existing phone or tablet with a new device.” Choose your device from the list, and then follow the instructions to activate DUO Mobile on your new device.
We have a step-by-step guide for adding a new phone. Check it out before calling the Solution Center.
Can I have DUO on more than once device?
Yes. You can add devices by visiting your DUO settings. When you see the DUO prompt with the three notification options, click Settings at the top right. (Please note that if you are using the Remember Me for 30 days feature, you will need to visit Self Service on a different web browser to receive the prompt, and access your settings.) After you click Settings, click Add a New Device. You can register smart phones, cell phones, tablets and landline phones.
What can the DUO app access on my smartphone?
The DUO smartphone application serves only to provide two factor authentication. It does not access any personal information on your device, nor does it track your location. Learn more about DUO’s commitment to privacy on their website.
Have questions about DUO?
Check out our frequently asked questions below, and contact our Solution Center with any additional questions.