Annual Computer Refresh/Deployment 2019
Below is the estimated timeline and outline of the annual computer refresh/deployment process. If you would like more information, please see the Technology Purchasing and Replacement policy.
If you are on this year’s Refresh List, you will also receive emails with additional information about the process.
Refresh/Deployment Estimated Timeline
November – December
- Validate Equipment List
- Order Laptop Demos – WE ARE HERE
- Department Verifications
January – February
- Demos Available at the Solution Center
- Town Hall Meeting – January 16 at 3:30 in Anna Irvin Dining Hall
- Users Complete Computer Refresh Form
- Pre-Refresh Audits of User Hardware/Software
- Box Training
- Bid Leasing
February – March
- Finalize Equipment List
- Software List Finalized
- Bid Equipment
March – April
- Build Computer Images
- Order Equipment
- Inventory New Equipment
- Set Up Computers for Installation
- Installation Appointment Scheduling
April – June
- Delivery and Collection of Equipment
What to Expect During the Process
Make a list of software/programs that you will use on your computer. If the software is not supplied by IS&T, we will need to be provided the software and license agreement. If you are requesting new software, please complete the Software Purchase/Download Request form.
Make sure that you have all of your files and documents saved to Box. If you do not have Box Sync installed, please contact the Solution Center, SolutionCenter@montevallo.edu or 665-6512.
- An IS&T technician will schedule a time to audit your equipment.
- This will include confirming specialized software/programs, mapped drives, printers and email archives.
Computer Setup/Appointment Scheduling
- Our technicians will configure and install software prior to the scheduled appointment.
- IS&T will contact each person to schedule your installation appointment.
- We expect your refresh to take 1-3 hours depending on the details involved.
- User must be present the entire scheduled time. If the user cannot stay, the appointment will have to be rescheduled.
- The technician will install your new computer and transfer current user settings, i.e. printers, bookmarks, mapped drives, and Outlook archive, if applicable.
- Once the installation/configuration is completed, the user will be asked to confirm that all requested programs/files are accessible.
- The technician will remove all old equipment at the end of the appointment.
- IS&T will handle the process of returning leased equipment and/or selling old equipment.