Veterans Education Benefits
At the University of Montevallo, it is our honor to serve our veterans, those currently serving in the armed forces, and their families. We welcome you to study with us to begin the next chapter of your life and offer our assistance in navigating the use of the educational benefits you have earned. We work closely with veterans, members of the Reserves, National Guard, dependents and spouses of veterans. The Coordinator of Veterans Affairs serves as a liaison for veterans and their dependents, assisting in obtaining benefits from the Federal Department of Veterans Affairs and is located in the Registrar’s Office on the second floor of Palmer Hall. Currently, students may use the following VA and DOD educational assistance programs while studying at UM:
- Montgomery GI BILL – Active Duty (Chapter 30)
- Montgomery GI BILL – Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
- Post 9/11 GI BILL (Chapter 33)
- Post 9/11 GI Bill – Yellow Ribbon (Chapter 33, YR)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program-REAP (Chapter 1607)
- Survivor’s and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
- Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
- The Alabama G.I. and Dependents Education Scholarship – Alabama National Guard Education Assistant Program (ANGEAP)
- Tuition Assistance – Information available from your unit’s Education Service Officer
All degree programs at the University of Montevallo are approved by the State Approving Agency.
The Federal Department of Veterans Affairs determines eligibility and maintains veteran records. Students must be admitted and registered at the University before enrollment is certified to the VA. Students must also submit a completed VA Request for Certification form and an updated Certificate of Eligibility to the Coordinator of Veteran Affairs for each academic year.
Students interested in applying for the Alabama G.I. and Dependents Education Benefit program should contact their county Veterans Affairs Office or the Student Aid Office at the University.
Special Note – VA benefits and paying for on-campus housing
Just a quick reminder regarding VA benefits and on campus housing: The VA will not pay the University directly for housing regardless of which benefit you use. If you live on campus, the Cashier’s Office offers a payment arrangement service that will allow you to pay for on-campus housing monthly. If you receive a monthly stipend directly to you from the VA, you may use that to pay for housing on or off campus, but housing is your responsibility to pay.