Bryn Chancellor joined the University of Montevallo English Department in 2009 after earning an M.F.A. in creative writing from Vanderbilt University.
A writer of fiction and creative nonfiction, her work has appeared in several literary journals and earned honors that include a fellowship and a project grant from the Arizona Commission on the Arts, scholarships from the Bread Loaf and Sewanee Writers’ Conferences, and a nomination for Best New American Voices. Her work-in-progress includes a short-story collection, which has been a finalist for the Mary McCarthy Prize and the Bakeless Prize, and a novel tentatively titled The Magnificent Wilds.
At UM, she teaches creative writing workshops in fiction and creative nonfiction as well as contemporary American literature courses influenced by her interests in narrative studies, race/gender/class/sexuality studies, comix/graphic literature, Latin literature, and Native American literature.
- M.F.A., Creative Writing (Fiction), Vanderbilt University, 2009
- M.A., English Literature, Arizona State University, 1997
- B.A., English, Northern Arizona University, 1993
- ENG 461/561: Advanced Creative Writing (Fiction)
- ENG 361: Creative Writing
- ENG 472/572: Literature of Plural America: Contemporary Latin@ Literature
- ENG 472/572: Literature of Plural America: Contemporary LGBTQ Literature
- ENG 413/513: Studies in Short Fiction: Contemporary American Short Story 1960-present
- ENG 414/514: Studies in the Novel: The Autobiographical Graphic Novel
- “When Are You Coming Home?” Blackbird 10.2 (Fall 2011).
- “All This History at Once.” PMS: poemmemoirstory 10 (Fall 2010): 113-117.
- “Wrestling Night.” The Yalobusha Review 13 (Winter 2008): 101-109.
- “The New Girl.” The Fourth River, 4 (Fall 2007): 50-58.
- “Meet Me Here.” Gulf Coast 18.1 (Winter-Spring 2006): 12-24.
- “At the Terminal.” Blackbird 3.2 (Fall 2004).
- “In My Former Life.” CutBank 62 (Fall 2004): 42-56.
- “Fossil Light.” Phoebe 33. 2 (Fall 2004): 98-115.
- “Any Sign of Light.” Colorado Review 31. 1 (Spring 2004): 34-44.
- “Start With the Walls.” The Cream City Review 27. 2 (Fall 2003): 31-42.
- “Water at Midnight.” Crazyhorse 62 (Fall 2002): 20-28.