Bryn Chancellor joined the University of Montevallo English Department in 2009 after earning an M.F.A. in creative writing from Vanderbilt University.
Her story collection, When Are You Coming Home?, won the 2014 Prairie Schooner Book Prize and will be published by the University of Nebraska Press in Fall 2015. Also in 2014, she was selected as the winner in fiction of the Poets and Writers Maureen Egen Writers Exchange Award and received a Literary Arts Fellowship from the Alabama State Council on the Arts; previous honors and include a fellowship and a project grant from the Arizona Commission on the Arts and scholarships from the Bread Loaf and Sewanee Writers’ Conferences.
Her work has appeared in several literary journals, and her current projects include a novel and a collection of linked stories. At UM, she teaches creative writing workshops in fiction and creative nonfiction as well as contemporary American literature courses influenced by her interests in narrative studies, race/gender/class/sexuality studies, comix/graphic literature, and Latin@ literature.
- M.F.A., Creative Writing (Fiction), Vanderbilt University, 2009
- M.A., English Literature, Arizona State University, 1997
- B.A., English, Northern Arizona University, 1993
- ENG 461/561: Advanced Creative Writing: Fiction
- ENG 461/561: Advanced Creative Writing: Forms of Fiction
- ENG 461/THEA 471/HNRS 309: Page to Stage: Prose/Playwriting Adaptation (team taught)
- ENG 361: Creative Writing
- ENG 301/HNRS 309/ES 300: Psychogeography and the Creative Writer
- ENG 472/572: Literature of Plural America: Contemporary Latin@ Literature
- ENG 472/572: Literature of Plural America: Contemporary LGBTQ Literature
- ENG 413/513: Studies in Short Fiction: Contemporary American Short Story 1960-present
- ENG 414/514: Studies in the Novel: The Autobiographical Graphic Novel
- When Are You Coming Home?: Stories, University of Nebraska Press, forthcoming Fall 2015
- “This Is Not an Exit,” descant, forthcoming Fall 2014
- “When Are You Coming Home?” Blackbird 10.2 (Fall 2011).
- “All This History at Once.” PMS: poemmemoirstory 10 (Fall 2010): 113-117.
- “Wrestling Night.” The Yalobusha Review 13 (Winter 2008): 101-109.
- “The New Girl.” The Fourth River, 4 (Fall 2007): 50-58.
- “Meet Me Here.” Gulf Coast 18.1 (Winter-Spring 2006): 12-24.
- “At the Terminal.” Blackbird 3.2 (Fall 2004).
- “In My Former Life.” CutBank 62 (Fall 2004): 42-56.
- “Fossil Light.” Phoebe 33. 2 (Fall 2004): 98-115.
- “Any Sign of Light.” Colorado Review 31. 1 (Spring 2004): 34-44.
- “Start With the Walls.” The Cream City Review 27. 2 (Fall 2003): 31-42.
- “Water at Midnight.” Crazyhorse 62 (Fall 2002): 20-28.