The Center for Professional Practice
Accomplishments - Fall 2012
- The Accounting Internship Academic Program, in its second year, was successful.
In concert with Dr. Tara Sudderth, we have 10 students working with 9 firms.
Included in this count is an MBA graduate and a December, 2012 undergraduate
student. Those working from January through mid-March will earn between $10-$25
per hour, many working 40 hours or more.
- Marketing, Finance, and Management Internships (non-academic) have
been established as well.
- Student Touchpoints: As of 12/12, there were 275 SCOB students
including 50-60 in the MBA program. The Center has touched over 65%. There are
130 who are in Junior/Senior status.
- VITA - Volunteers in Tax Assistance.
Plans are being finalized in a collaborative effort with the IRS to serve the
Montevallo community for the second year with tax preparation. There will be 5
student volunteers who will participate, each giving 35-50 hours. We anticipate
serving 50-75 clients.
- Phi Chi Theta, the Business Fraternity, is actively engaged with the
- The Senior Center Lecture Series was very successful. Over 60 people
participated in the program, The Business of Protocol, presented by Dr. Treva
- Two Center Lecture Series are planned for the Spring Term (January and
- Executives from the Metro Birmingham area are visiting the SCOB
- The Executive in Residence is now speaking on behalf of the Center to
- The Center has been active in recruitment of new SCOB Board Members.