Department of Music is housed in Maxine Couch Davis Hall. Davis Hall was
constructed in 1972, and was known for 20 years as “The New Music
Building.” On November 6, 1992, the University’s Board of Trustees resolved
that the building would be named for Dr. Maxine Couch Davis, alumna, and
Professor Emerita of Music, in recognition of her six decades of dedicated
service and generosity to the Department of Music and to the University.
Davis Hall is a
modern facility which contains teaching studios, classrooms, electronic
piano lab, choral rehearsal hall, wind ensemble rehearsal hall, practice
rooms, three pipe organs, the Long Music Technology Lab, and the Harrison
D. LeBaron Recital Hall.
Harrison D. LeBaron Recital Hall is a 248-seat hall, used primarily for
faculty and student recitals, lectures, and university-wide convocations
and meetings. The hall is named for the late Harrison D. LeBaron, organist,
music theorist, and Director of the School of Music from 1930 until 1955.
LeBaron Hall is a 9-foot Hamburg Steinway piano, a gift of UM alumna
Dorothy Crabtree Dobbins, Class of 1929, and a 15 rank Flentrop organ,
built in 1960, and installed in the present building upon its completion in
the fall, 2007 semester, the department was designated as an “All-Steinway”
department. Through a very generous donation by a local business, UM Music
Students have the very finest of pianos upon which to practice and perform.