Accommodating approximately 285 women, Main Hall is the "Grand Dame" of Montevallo. It is not only UM’s oldest residence hall, but also its largest. An extensive multi-million dollar renovation was completed in 1987 which included the restoration of the Grand Staircase in the center of the lobby.
The building has three sections. The rooms in Central Main are all designated for single occupancy with East Main and West Main designated for double occupancy. Most rooms are furnished with a sink while others (suite rooms) share a sink in a connecting area. Other amenities include spacious guest parlors in the lobby.
Main hall is the home of mostly freshmen women and is the home of two sororities, Alpha Gamma Delta and Alpha Delta Pi. Because its construction was completed in three stages, there is a wide variety of room sizes in Main Hall.
Construction on the west wing began in 1897 and continued for the next few decades. The three wings are officially named in honor of women who were prominent in the early days of Alabama College: Elizabeth Haley-Moore, Anne E. Kennedy and Mary Goode Stallworth, but the building is usually called East Main, Central Main and West Main.
Because of the wide variety of room sizes in Main, a floor plan is not available.