Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 2:02 p.m.
Members Present: Sen. Lowe, Sen. Wicknick, Sen. Ayotte, Sen. Thrower, Sen. Gilbert, Sen. Bell, Sen. Hamilton, Sen. Ford, Sen. Byrd, Sen. Duran-McLure, Sen. Patton, Senate President Puleo
Approval of previous meeting’s minutes: Senator Ayotte moved to approve. Senator Bell seconded. Motion carried.
· Dr. Williams has offered some initial feedback on the proposed Constitution and Bylaws. Senate President Puleo and University President Williams will meet on the morning of 4-9-07 to discuss the feedback in detail.
o After discussion, Bell moved that the Academic Confidence Committee be stricken from the Bylaws. Duran-McClure seconded. Motion passed.
· Other discussion of Shared Governance document:
o Article II Section 2: Some discussion that “shared” or “integral” rather than “principle” be referenced in regard to faculty “role” on academic policy. The language change would help to emphasize the shared governance ideal that is intended by this senate proposal.
o Written resolution: Sen. Lowe reported on her efforts to develop a written resolution. Discussion ended with agreement that a shared perspective should be communicated in the resolution.
o Article IV: Will be reviewed and discussed further.
· A comment box on the faculty survey will be added to solicit feedback on shared governance.
· Senate will have lunch with Board of Trustees on May 2nd in the Anna Irvin Dining Room at noon.
· Administrative assessment: President Puleo will contact Scott Meyer concerning assessment this year.
· Equity statement will be discussed with Dr. Williams at Monday’s meeting.
· Senate elections in each college need to take place. At the last senate meeting on April 20, 2007, newly elected senators will attend. President Puleo will contact the Deans to remind them that new senators need to be elected and names submitted.
· Representative and alternate needed for Grievance Committee.
· Sen. Thrower was appointed to assist with tabulations for faculty survey. Pres. Puleo will assist with report.
· Faculty Senate will communicate to Physical Plant the request submitted to have cemetery behind Hill House maintained.
· The UM Observatory Project is trying to build an observatory. Funds from the Senate are being solicited.
· First University focus group meeting Saturday, April 7th in Morgan.
Senator Byrd moved to adjourn. Patton seconded. Motion passed.
Adjourned 3:04 p.m.