December 1, 2006
Call to Order: The meeting was called
to order at 2:05 p.m.
Members Present: Harry Hamilton, Kathy
Lowe, Stephanie Puleo, Elizabeth Thrower, Jill
Wicknick, Stacey Ayotte, Houston Byrd, Lanny
McMinn, Michael Patton, Sally Bell, Kristen
Gilbert, Sherry Ford
Approval of previous meeting’s minutes:
Senator Hamilton moved to approve. Senator
Ayotte seconded. Motion passed.
Guest: Gordon Stone (Higher Education
- Good year with budgets—economy has been
- Higher Education Day: Student Teams
Advocating Realistic Solutions (STARS)—these
campus representatives coordinate student
involvement in Higher Ed. Day
- Higher Education Day is April 5, 2007.
- Please continue to promote the value of
HEP to fellow faculty members.
- Pres. Williams supportive of pre-tenure
leave. Will go as far with it as possible.
Costs are a potential issue, but will still
- Non-discrimination language will be
addressed. President Williams and Board have
- Faculty Governance Subcommittee members
met with Dr. Williams. He envisions faculty
and administration working together and says
that Board is supportive of faculty
- Modeling faculty governance still needs
- Kathy Lowe described collaborative
effort for developing present proposal.
- President Puleo noted that current
proposal will need to be translated into a
document (resolution) for the Board’s
August meeting. Will plan to get to them
- Distribution of labor (committees) for
getting Board’s document ready.
- Shifting governance will require
changes in Constitution and then bylaws.
Kristen Gilbert described the current
revisions of Constitution.
- Constitution will need to be voted
on by entire faculty.
- Subcommittee assignments:
- Michael Patton and Kathy Lowe will
head committee for reworking document.
- Committee list: Chair, Jill
Wicknick; members, Houston Byrd and
- Constitution: Chair, Michelle
Duran-McLure; members, Elizabeth
Thrower and Eric Vaccarella.
- Bylaws: Chair, Kristen Gilbert;
members, Stacey Ayotte and Sally
- Faculty handbook: Chair, Lanny
McMinn; members, Harry Hamilton and
- President Puleo will work with all
No other Old Business or New Business
Patton moved to adjourn. Ayotte
seconded. Meeting ended at 3:16 p.m.