October 27, 2006
Call to Order: The meeting was called
to order at 2:05 p.m.
Members Present: Harry Hamilton, Alan
May (proxy for Kathy Lowe), Sherry Ford,
Stephanie Puleo, Elizabeth Thrower, Jill
Wicknick, Stacy Ayotte
Approval of previous meeting's minutes:
Tabled for November 10, 2006 meeting (no
R. MacPherson: Discussed low salaries at UM.
Contribute to turnover and inability to even
attract potential faculty.
- Other state universities have 2 retirement
- Should try to come up with better
comparative base than CUPA.
- Some comparative cells are extremely
- Adjustment for those waiting for
- Should perhaps use salary of JUCO
system for comparison
- Formula for determining salary (across
board v merit). Current system has age
discrimination built in. No recognition for
years of service.
- Evaluation process not in accordance with
Handbook. Evaluations assess student
satisfaction and not teaching effectiveness.
These issues will be taken under advisement
but will be tabled until faculty governance and
pre-tenure leave action items are moved further
- Senate Governance: Update at next meeting
- Pre-tenure research leave: Will vote next
meeting and present to President Williams
- Outcome of faculty assembly
- Attendees were updated on current
status of faculty governance.
- Need more attendance. Perhaps next
assembly should be followed immediately
by social gathering.
Informal meeting ended at 3:02 p.m.