October 13, 2006
Call to Order: The meeting was called
to order at 2:01 p.m.
Members Present: Stephanie Puleo,
Kathy Lowe, Sherry Ford, Elizabeth Thrower, Eric
Vaccarella, Jill Wicknick, Lanny McMinn, Houston
Byrd, Stacey Ayotte, Michelle Duran-McLure,
Sally Bennett Bell, Jackie Newby, Harry
Hamilton, Michael Patton
Approval of Previous Meeting's meetings:
Senator Thrower moved to approve; Senator Ayotte
- Pres. Puleo met with Dr. Seelbach. He
noted that Faculty Senate can make
recommendations that then go to Board of
Trustees for approval.
- Congrats to Michelle Duran-McClure for her
fine performance in the Life-Raft Debate.
- Congrats to Houston Byrd for selection as
Reports from Senators:
- Faculty Governance Committee continuing
efforts. Meets Tuesday, Oct. 17th at 1:30
p.m. in the library. Please send any input
to Senator Lowe. A consensus from the senate
may help committee move forward. Exploring
- What defines academic responsibilities
- Look for "blindspots," as
per Dr. Williams-
- Senator Lowe passed out list of
committees for faculty involvement.
- IITC committee needs faculty
- Academic Council-more faculty
- How can we provide all faculty
opportunities to serve?
- Senator Wicknick reported on status of
Pre-Tunure Research Leave. President Puleo
recommended that we look at both Tenured
Sabbatical and Pre-Tenure Sabbatical to
- Senator Duran-McClure noted problems with
adjunct pay-special problem in cases where
adjunct teaches more than two
- Bookstore requested a meeting with Senate
Bookstore Committee. Senators Ayotte and
Thrower volunteered to serve on committee.
Former senator/committee member Charlotte
Daughhetee will also continue to serve on
- Senator Ayotte concerned with loss of
quarter time faculty who taught one course
per semester in her department. Also
concerned with need for new faculty line in
those programs that only have one faculty
member (e.g. French, Philosophy). Senator
Lowe mentioned the importance of this issue
to SACS and Pres. Puleo added Institutional
- Pres. Puleo noted that Faculty Senate
makes final recommendation for CASE
professor. Please remind your Chairs and
Deans that their recommendations are needed.
- Patton brought up issue of clarifying
assignments of faculty in departments and
- Senator Hamilton reminded senate about
Campaign for Montevallo.
Senator Duran-McClure moved that the meeting
be adjourned. Senator Hamilton seconded and the
motion passed unanimously. Adjourned at 2:57