September 29, 2006
Call to Order: The meeting was called
to order at 2:00 p.m.
Members Present: Sally Bennett Bell,
Kristin Gilbert, Kathy Lowe, Stephanie Puleo,
Elizabeth Thrower, Eric Vaccarella, Jill
Wicknick, Nathan McMinn, Houston Byrd, Stacy
Ayotte, Jackie Nuby
Approval of Previous Meeting's meetings:
Thrower moved to approve, Wicknick seconded.
President's Report: No Presidents report
Protocol for Faculty Members to Address the
A procedure has been established for faculty
members to bring concerns before the Senate
- The faculty member will be invited to
speak to the issue.
- Questions from the Senators will be
addressed to the faculty member concerning
- The faculty member will state his/her
expectation to resolve the issue.
- The Senate will table discussion for the
Reports from Senators:
- Senator Lowe presented research on faculty
- Senators will familiarize themselves with
this research, which is on reserve in the
- Senator Lowe will e-mail the Senate a list
of schools (COPLAC & Alabama State
Institutions) whose senates have a structure
other than advisory.
- Senators announced at each College faculty
meeting that a desire for increase in family
swim hours needs to be sent to Billy Cannon
- Due to changes in the Bookstore personnel,
the Senate will not take any action at this
time, but will observe the procedures and
protocols for this academic semester.
- Senators were encouraged to promote the
Faculty assembly scheduled for October 18 at
3:30 pm in King House.
- Senator Bell motioned to add
"non-discrimination based on sexual
orientation" to all official University
non-discrimination language statements.
Senator Thrower seconded the motion. Passed.
President Williams' Visit:
- President Williams visited the Senate to
discuss views on the direction of the
Senate. He stated that a perfect Senate
would identify good ideas, help move the
ideas to areas where they would most benefit
the University, and work through open
communication with the University to improve
- President Williams also stated that he
believes the faculty is the keeper of the
Academic quality on campus and that faculty
should have an active role in academic
- President Williams also reiterated his
"open-door" policy to faculty
Senator Byrd moved that the meeting be
adjourned. Senator Ayotte seconded and the
motion passed unanimously. Adjourned at 3:10