Emeritus status is not automatically conferred, nor acquired by default, but requires recommendation by the President and confirmation by the Board of Trustees. Designation as "Emeritus" is based on sustained outstanding professional contributions to the University of Montevallo. The individual so honored must be a tenured member of the faculty or a regular staff member, with at least seven years service to UM, the last five of which immediately precede retirement. Faculty and staff entering into retirement as the result of a disability must meet these eligibility requirements, but may be exempt from the seven-year requirement. This honorary title may be awarded posthumously. Recommendations for the designation must come from the individual's department and be approved by the department head, Dean (where applicable), Vice President and President.
Retired faculty and staff enjoying appointment to emeritus rank have all the rights and privileges that are within the power of the University to grant and that can be provided without imposing an expenditure of State funds. These privileges shall include:
- Complimentary campus parking decal.
- Complimentary University ID card.
- Invitations to attend formal University events.
- Rights and responsibilities relative to obtaining tickets to concerts, lectures, and other admissions regularly extended to active faculty and staff.
- Applicable discounts at the University bookstore and cafeteria.
- Use of the McChesney Student Activities Center at rates regularly extended to active faculty and staff.
- Names of all emeriti faculty and staff listed in a special section of the University Bulletin.
Last Revised 5/09